How do you feel about yourself these days? Self-esteem, self-pity, self loathing or self compassion? — Reeve Connect
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.

How do you feel about yourself these days? Self-esteem, self-pity, self loathing or self compassion?

Dan_Gottlieb
Dan_Gottlieb Moderator Posts: 15 Moderator
10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Photogenic
How do you feel about yourself these days?

Comments

• Dan_Gottlieb
    Dan_Gottlieb Moderator Posts: 15 Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Photogenic
    When I was first injured, I hated my body. So much so that I would pound my legs as though to punish them. I used to tell people my body acted like a terrorist but I had to treat it with devotion or else I would get sick. Again.

And with that, I also was ashamed of myself. I was ashamed that I was so much different than everyone else. I was ashamed that I constantly had to ask for help. Ashamed that someone had to cut my food, shower me and do my bowel routine.
    I didn't like myself at all. Better said, I hated myself.

It turns out the bulk of us don't like ourselves very much. Most humans I know try to be the person they think they should be or could be. And when we fail, we judge ourselves harshly, often calling ourselves idiots or failure or worse.

It is said that when the Dalai Lama came to America for the first time, he was surprised about our minds: "people over here don't seem to like themselves very much. How can you not like yourself when you are born with a Buddha nature?"

So how do you feel about yourself?
    Dan

Daniel Gottlieb PhD
    WWW.DrDanGottlieb.com
  • jaarch
    jaarch Moderator Posts: 50 Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    Better each day! I have always taken my injury as a personal challenge to establish a new norm. One of my favorite sayings: "Sometimes it's your attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude!" 
  • Zcollie
    Zcollie Moderator Posts: 239 Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I definitely love myself more now than when my accident first happened. It was very difficult for me to accept that I would now have to rely on others. I was a very independent person before. I felt weak and pathetic having people cut my food, feed me, shower me, dress me, etc.. However, now it doesn't me bother me as much anymore. I have accepted that this is my situation for now and to make the best of it. Then I focus on all the positive things and opportunities that have happened. I love myself and the person I have become. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI