What is the one thing you have struggled with most since your injury?

garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 102Moderator Moderator
25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
I would like for individuals to share what they have struggled with post injury

Comments

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 47Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    The biggest thing for me is having to call a repair man for things that need fixing around the house. I have always been a "Mr. Fix-it" and to have to pay someone to do something that I used to easily be able to do is very frustrating. I have had limited success in directing the repair of a few things through my wife and son but, they are not as mechanically inclined as I am and I can easily go over their head with my explanation. 
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 51Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @jaarch I can see how that can be hard. My struggle is kind of similar to that. I have played almost every sport that is popular in the US. Football, basketball, soccer the list goes on. So not being able to have a special kind of control over the task my body performs can be tough. I do my best to focus on what I can do instead of what I can't. I'm thinking there is still a lot that would take a lifetime so I shouldn't be bored anytime soon. 😁

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 138Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    The hardest thing for me that I struggle with after my injury is the loss of independence I once had. I know that is very broad, but I was such an independent person before my accident. It is hard to not be able to do a lot of the things I took for granted before my SCI. Like @Sterlion said I do my best to focus on what I can do and not what was taken from me. I missing be able to jump up out of bed take a quick shower, get myself dressed, make breakfast and head off to school for the day all in the matter of 30 mins. I could go on and on about the things I miss, but don't think about it a lot anymore. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • cruiseybabbbycruiseybabbby Posts: 18Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    My biggest struggle is similar to that of @Zcollie .
    The issue of independence and just not being able to do what I really want to do on my own… Needing someone else to initiate the goal that I wish to achieve was and is still a bit frustrating at times but just like every other issue in the life of a SCI, I don't put energy or focus on it. I simply figure it out and complete it however necessary!
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 102Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
     I like that @cruiseybabbby
    I am the same way I just figure things out
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 212Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    Thank you for openly sharing this you guys. It's so important to keep these perspectives especially as partners of men with SCI. :)
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)