What is at least one thing you have learned or grown from because of your SCI?

ZcollieZcollie Posts: 68Moderator Moderator
25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
I know many people view this injury as a negative. Whether you have accepted your accident yet or not. This injury will change you as a person. It will teach you things you never would have learned if your injury never happened. What are some things that stand out to you personally?

For me one of the things that really stands out is the relationship that changed between me and my family. Before my accident I was the older brother who always caused trouble and picked on my younger siblings. My injury brought me closer to my family and I am so grateful for that. It strengthened my faith, which I never would have expected because I feel like for many people it would have pulled them father away. It changed my heart and turned me into more of a loving and compassionate person. Before my accident the only person I cared about was myself. It gave me a new direction and path. There is more I can say on this, but I would love to hear from others their opinions on this.   

Comments

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 34Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    @Zcollie Aside from everything you mentioned(which I have also experienced) I think the biggest thing I have gained is patience. I have always been the type of person that attacked any issues head on and without delay. I can't do that any more in certain situations. I have learned to accept that. My communication skills have increased exponentially as well. I am now able to talk someone through fixing something, for the most part, that I know how to fix but am not able to reach.  
  • CruckerCrucker Posts: 23Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Photogenic
    Resilience. Many of us middle-class Americans, from Baby Boomers through the current Generation Z, have avoided being tested in life. We have never gone to war, never gone hungry, never had to fight to stay alive. As one writer put it, we have little scar tissue indicating we survived something fundamental. When I became paralyzed at 50, I knew that this would become the greatest test of my life. And, probably like everyone reading this, I feel I passed. I took it on the chin, got up, got back to work, and flourished in ways I would have never imagined before.It's much more complicated than that, of course, but that's the gist of it. I know when the next test appears -- and at my age, it surely will -- I feel better prepared to take it on. To that I credit this awful paralysis.
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 68Moderator Moderator
    @jaarch Absolutely!! I was the most impatient person before my injury happened. My SCI has taught me soooo much patience. Very well said and great insight. 

@Crucker I agree and definitely felt like I have gained resilience from this injury. Thank you for sharing(:

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 64Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 25 Awesomes 10 Comments First Answer
    Patience! So, so much patience and understanding and purpose. Being able to communicate effectively is another big one. We're all human, and patience and communication isn't something that comes naturally for some but practice makes perfect and we love our men!
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 28Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    One of the things I've learned is who I can count on. Before I had alot of friends who were fun to hang around. Since I was mostly independent I rarely if ever asked for more than to hangout. Now that I rely on others more many of my so called friends stopped contacting me. The ones who I continue to hangout with now are the ones that I know will be around to count on when I really need them. I have learned much more on top of that but this lesson stood out to me.
    @WAGSofSCI Absolutely agree!!!

@Sterlion I can really relate to you on that. My injury showed me who my true friends were. I lost a lot of them, but learned who was real. I lost some I did not think I would and others stayed who I thought couldn't handle it. 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 46Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer
    One thing I have learned is to be resilient. I realized you can't let anything stop you whatever place you are in today is not going to be the place you are in tomorrow
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 28Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Zcollie said:
    @WAGSofSCI Absolutely agree!!!

@Sterlion I can really relate to you on that. My injury showed me who my true friends were. I lost a lot of them, but learned who was real. I lost some I did not think I would and others stayed who I thought couldn't handle it. 
    Crazy how it works. 
  • iamdadmaniamdadman Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Likes
    What a great discussion topic!  I have learned so much since my injury.  I was 59 when I injured so I had an entire life of being able bodied.  One of the things I learned was to allow people to help and offer assistance.  Prior to my injury, I was always the one helping but the last to ask for it.  I realized by preventing people from helping, I was depriving them of the good feelings I enjoyed when helping others.  Secondly, I learned to "not sweat the small stuff" and that almost everything is "small stuff".  I did have some friends who I lost contact with and I don't think it was due to them abandoning me but rather their level of discomfort with my paralysis.  I think maybe the biggest thing I learned is how I changed my view of my life after I was injured.  Right after I was injured, I measured my life by all of the things I had lost.  Now, I measure my life by the number of blessings and the amount of love I still have in my life.  To me, life is still so beautiful.  
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 87Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    @Sterlion, I love that you made this comment. In addition to showing you who your real friends are, I think it can also apply to romantic partners. If a friend or partner disappears because of SCI, they weren't a real friend in the first place, and they probably would have found some other bogus reason to disappear from your life later on anyway. Here's to true friends!
    @iamdadman Beautifully said!! I could not agree anymore(: 
  • cruiseybabbbycruiseybabbby Posts: 17Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic First Answer
    I like to think I am a bit of a superhero now… The senses that I have are certainly heightened as is my ability to observe, dictate instructions, have patience, see both physically and mentally how to solve a problem, literally never get angry at a situation and force myself to just figure it out or move past it and to believe that no matter what happens… Everything will work out and be okay!!

It's a beautiful thing to be able to live with your eyes truly open!!
    @cruiseybabbby ; I could not agree with you more.  Since my accident I have learned not to sweat the small stuff... and it is all small stuff.
    @cruiseybabbby Absolutely!! Could not have said it any better!
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 14Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    I agree most with @WAGSofSCI and @jaarch - Patience! Patience with myself, my family, with anyone I have a relationship with. Most people try very hard to understand what we all go through and experience but it's so hard at times to try and explain how things really feel or why. It has been difficult for me at times to take a step back and try to explain to my loved ones whats going on physically and mentally because otherwise they just don't know. And sometimes I don't even know what's going on. I'm not saying I'm the most patient person now, but definitely more than I was! It's a daily learning process to be patient with my body and myself as well as everyone in my life. Some days really test you!
    @trevorsendeavor
    Trevor,

Patience will serve you very well.  When you have paralysis, things happen very slowly if at all.  Being patient with others starts by being patient with yourself and your new body.  It's a good thing that you have recognized this.