Hello my name is Monica. I am Charlie's mom.

Monica.TMonica.T Posts: 98Member ✭✭
25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Hello. My name is Monica, my teenage son Charlie recently became a wheelchair user. In June of 2017 Charlie required full spine scoliosis surgery, during the surgery there was a "bleed" at the T2 level. I had never heard of "T2", spinal bleed, spinal shock or SCI. We were flung into a world of unknowns. Since that time we been learning to cope with a long list of new and often difficult medical, personal and social issues. The "bleed" left Charlie in the ICU for a month, then in the physical Rehab hospital for 4 weeks, where he (re)learned how to sit up and due to insurance's refusal to pay any longer we were sent home and began the long and continuing journey into our new life. After floundering in a pit of frustration and fear we were introduced to this Foundation by a dear friend. The books and information we were sent helped guide us from an endless path of fear onto the new path of education, understanding and realization that though it's not always easy it does get better. I won't deny we been through hell and some days we still struggle just to cope with daily life but we aren't floundering in the pit of despair anymore.

My son would be the one reading/typing and posting here - But he is Special Needs, though he can read and communicate it's not on a level that he could express himself here.

Thank you for allowing me to be his voice and to also be a part of this forum.

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 151Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @Monica.T Thank you for sharing your story and so happy you found this forum. I hope you find this community welcoming and informational. Welcome!
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 153Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    @Monica.T, my mom looked to the foundation for guidance when my brother was injured many years ago. There are so many resources that are incredibly helpful. I'm so glad to hear you and Charlie are doing better. Know that you are appreciated!
  • ambercollieambercollie Posts: 43Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Monica Thank You so much for sharing your story about your son Charlie. As a mom of a quadriplegic son after a beach injury at 15 years old, I totally understand that floundering comment. So glad to hear you are on the other side and can now be a inspiration to others. Yes we have hard days still but have come So Far! Again Thanks for sharing!
  • Monica.TMonica.T Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    Hi Zcollie , BrookeU , and ambercollie Thanks so much for the warm welcome :)