BOTOX for Bladder Control

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 212Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello everyone,
Elena here...

Dan recently had Botox done in his bladder to help with bladder leaking and other issues. However, he is going through a very difficult time and is having never ending UTI's accompanied by fevers, waking up all throughout the night to "Cath" panics when he cannot find a restroom that is accessible and sometimes has accidents. He recently came home from University and was quite upset. The only accessible bathroom is constantly occupied and when he knocks on the door, he hears a quick flush and an able bodies individual, standing on two legs quickly apologizes and scurries away. His bladder needs to void at around 400ml and thus he has realized that holding his bladder makes him more susceptible to Urinary Tract Infections, as the pores of the bladder open up once the bladder is full at over 500ml. This means that voiding becomes urgent. 

My question is, have YOU had Botox for your bladder control? and if so, what are some of your tips and tricks to getting used to Botox and bladder issues, waking up all through out the night.  

Thanks so much!

Elena
WAGS of SCI
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 47Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Wow! That sounds terrible. I had Botox done about three years ago and never had a single side effect and I am still dry to this day, unless I let my bladder overfill of course. Hopefully it is something that will clear up for him on its own, in time. What is his doctor saying?
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 33Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    I have have never had botox injections, but I am taking a few medications for bladder control that have seemed to at least keep it somewhat consistent (Toviaz & Myrbetriq). I am very familiar with how botox can benefit and I generally hear good things, so I'm sorry to hear that it has been a struggle lately. I can relate to the bathroom issue (as I'm sure a lot of us can) because I have to void at about 300ml or else it doesn't end well. So plenty of times I end up wet waiting to get in an accessible stall. The thing I had the most difficult getting used to was waking up at night. As of now I still have accidents at night sometimes, but I am up every two hours to check to see if I need to go. It's sort of something I accepted because it is much more frustrating then waking up wet.
    I know there are other options for night time that have been suggested to me such as a condom catheters or different types of pads to help prevent leaking from becoming too much of a problem so that may be a possible solution for waking up in a panic feeling the need to cath. UTI's are never fun either so I hope all the best.
  • iamdadmaniamdadman Posts: 160Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I have had botox injections several times, in fact I am getting it again in a couple of weeks.  In addition to my SCI, I am also a type 1 diabetic.  This made me even more prone to UTI's.  One year, I ended up in the hospital with bad UTI's with one time the infection went up to my kidneys and the other time I went into septic shock and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance with the lights and siren blazing.  I have had extremely good results with the botox.  I get it done about every six months and have had no accidents.  I use a foley catheter overnight because that waking up thing every two to three hours just didn't work for me.  I felt tired and drained after waking up.  I have had no UTI's now for over 2.5 years.  I think it is a combination of the botox and also the fact that my urologist won't treat me unless I am symptomatic.  Bowel and bladder control are personal and vary from person to person but in both cases, bladder and bowel I have solutions that work for me.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 212Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @iamdadman

Great points, bladder and bowel care is very personal and can vary for sure. Have you ever come across botox that has effects on spasms...ie.  botox for legs etc...?

Thanks again!
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 51Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I have gotten botox every six months for the last three years and it was very experimental the first few times. The first time worked perfectly. After that we had to play with the dosage because it wouldn't hold as good with a lower dosage and if we went too high it would carry over to the other muscles in my body and make me weak. I now take the combination of botox and Myrbetriq and its been doing well for me.

One thing I can say is it does take a week for the botox to kick in for me. I know it can be different for everyone. But I haven't had a UTI in a few years, I'd like to think because of hydration. 
  • iamdadmaniamdadman Posts: 160Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI
    Hi Brooke and Elena,
    Although I have heard good things about botox for spasms, I have never tried it.  As mentioned, it works great for my bladder but that is all I have done...

Joe