What's In Your Smoothies?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 280Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hey Everyone! Both of us discuss all the time how blended smoothies in the mornings have had such a positive impact on both of our partners health (and ours). They help with "regularity", skin, appetite control, and give them the extra nutrients they need throughout the day in order to heal on a regular basis.

Simply adding a banana to ice with milk wont do. Sugary smoothies do not do anything but tamper with your blood sugar and cause more hunger cravings. 

Make your morning smoothie simply with spinach (helps Bowels and cardiovascular systems, and high in valuable antioxidants), bananas (potassium for fibre and energy, some low sugar, nutrient fruit (like berries or mango), and a low sugar, high fibre protein supplement can do wonders for any quad or para.

How can you help? Making sure the fridge is always stocked with smoothie ingredients, ready to make or easy for him to grab and make is a start. 

Here's whats in our smoothies right now:

Elena and Dan
- 2 handfuls of spinach (or kale)
- 2 handfuls of blueberries
- 4 large strawberries 
- Vega unflavoured protein (one scoop)
- top with almond breeze milk and blend!

Brooke and Evan:
- spinach
- 1 cup mango
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp spirulina
- 1 scoop Garden of Life Raw Protein Unflavoured

If either of us go a day or two without one in the morning, we notice HUGE differences in our partners energy levels, bowel routine "ease" and hunger management. 

What do YOU add to your smoothies? Comment below with your tips and experiences! Have smoothies helped you or your partner?

- Elena and Brooke (WAGS of SCI)
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 50Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    I drink a shake every morning. I use water, frozen mango, frozen mixed berries(both from Costco), Orgain protien powder(I prefer vanilla bean flavor), and I throw my daily Miralax in just for good measure. Wow! That pic came out big!!
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 169Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I recently bought unsweetened pea protein powder from Trader Joe’s to add to my smoothies! I’ve only used it once so far, but I will say it doesn’t taste the best. However, it kept me decently full, and it contains no dairy (something I try to limit in my diet). I can’t report on how it might help bowel movements. I also add chia seeds, though, which with their high fiber content might help bowel routine ease. Flax seed meal, which has a nice nutty flavor, brings some omega 3s, which can help with preventing heart disease. 

I usually use unsweetened almond milk, spinach, and lower sugar content fruit for the base!
  • misscoreyannmisscoreyann Posts: 7Member
    Photogenic First Comment
    I usually mix our smoothies with chocolate vegan protein and whatever fruit and veggies I have in the fridge. Somedays I add spinach and banana and other days I will add oranges and strawberries or some melon. Pablo likes when I switch it up and keep things interesting   :smile:
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 73Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI
    Just curious, does this cause a lot of gas throughout the day? Since we aren't able to control it I try to be careful of what I do to keep me "regular" so I'm not letting one go during a professor's lecture.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 280Moderator Moderator
    @Sterlion this can be an issue with taking too much fibre too fast. Start slowly with any protein powder - but avoid whey protein as these forms tend to cause gas. I would choose a clean vegan protein that is made with whole foods instead of processed proteins. Try garden of life raw or vega unflavoured. We have both found these are safe for not causing gas. Start with half a scoop and go from there. See how your body reacts. 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    @jaarch ;
    Yes! We use the Vanilla one! so good.

Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    @misscoreyann

Yes!! Yum!!!