Anal Irrigation

uscoopshauscoopsha Posts: 1Member
After 5 years of being a T-10 paraplegic, I have started to look at alternatives for my bowel program. My biggest fear is having an accident outside my home and also would like to speed up my morning program. Does anyone use anal irrigation for their bowel program and what do you feel are the Pros and Cons. 

Comments

• foodpro07foodpro07 Posts: 3Member
    First Comment
    Hi. My son (T6 para) has used Peristeen anal irrigation for the past 3.5 years. He was paralyzed 4 years ago and this is really the only bowel program he has ever used. It works well. He flushes every other day. The only drawback is he can’t really do it himself. I have to help him with it. It takes a while to figure out how to get the balloon catheter to stay in while you pump water into your rectum. I actually have to hold it in for him. It does a good job of cleaning him out and only takes about 20 minutes once you get the hang of it. Before I insert the catheter and pump the water in I usually have to clear out any feces that is in his rectum. I also have to sometimes deflate the ballon half way through and let out any feces  that has descended and then start again. He usually pumps in a total of about 1L of water each time and lets the water out (500mL) halfway thru or as needed. 
    It seems to work for him but like I said he’s never really tried any other method for bowel emptying.  He never has accidents even doing this every other day. 
    Hooe this helps.