First swim after SCI

SpearJanisSpearJanis Posts: 8Member
First Comment Photogenic
It has been 2 years and 15 days since my hubby was in a motor vehicle accident and dislocated his C5.  He is incomplete and we have had some lovely recovery.  He is able to use his arms, a little tenodesis, and a tiny bit of leg swinging (pushing but not pulling).
We bartered his motorbike for a pool hoist which was just recently completed and today he had his first swim.  It was really great for him and will be excellent exercise if I am able to support him properly. I will need to do more training and learning, but the look on his face was just wonderful.
Here is the video my Dad took of the process:
https://youtu.be/gVCzQ4uV3sg
If anyone has any ideas or advice, please feel free to share with us.  I want to perhaps get weights for his feet, as well as a floaty thing to hold him up just in case.  :) <3

Comments

• David_1899498David_1899498 Posts: 1Member
    First Comment
    I swim 3 times a week and use a pull boy on my thighs with an elastic strap to hold it. It is aerodynamic and works perfect.
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 29Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Pool therapy is a great way to get rid of some of the weight and move freely in the water! I think doing aquatic therapy really helped me initially with my recovery. I wish I had more time to get in the pool more often! Some pools even have parallel bars in them so you can use those to help stand and walk in the water.