Travelling FREE As A Companion: Companies Offering Free Or Discounted Tickets (?)

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 259Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
We are from Canada, and have been researching a lot lately about companies offering FREE or discounted tickets when you are the companion of someone with a disability (AKA a WAG of SCI  :D)  and are there to assist him because he cannot fully on his own.

This is great news for us as its expensive enough to travel, why not take advantage of some of these options? We also have found things like 2 for 1 rail tickets and entertainment options! 

Canada:
Westjet - offers 2 for 1 seats (you pay taxes on the free one) anywhere on flights within Canada only.
Air Canada - offers free or discounted fares to for flights from Canada to anywhere in North America
Air Transat - offers 50% off the companion fare for flights from Canada to anywhere in the United States only
VIA Rail - offers a free fare to anyone accompanying a person with a disability
Access2Entertainment - offers companions FREE admission to all movie theatres in Canada (when a regular priced ticket is purchased) as well as for various Museums and special events. Hello 2 for 1 date night!

North America:
AMTRAK - 10% - 50% off fares for a disabled passenger and their companion

Do you know of any other companies that offer FREE companion travel options? Comment below!

Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• 619Drake619Drake Posts: 19Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Don't know about companion travel freebies, but I do know about a great destination. The world famous San Diego Zoo and Safari Park offer free admission to a personal attendant/caregiver when a disabled visitor pays for admission.
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 169Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sounds like Canada rocks! I'm curious to see what kind of discount options are available in the U.S., especially with air travel. I know some movie theaters offer free admission to people with disabilities here, but not all.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 259Moderator Moderator
    @BrookeU
    us as well. We did some preliminary research and couldn't find anything! Anyone out there know of any US airfare deals for companions?
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ambercollieambercollie Posts: 56Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Great information!

@WAGSofSCI, I'll try to do some research on that! I just want to add that I find it a bit ridiculous that airfare for riders who use wheelchairs is not automatically discounted, considering the fact that planes are SO not built to fully accommodate them. Why pay full price if you're not able to get the full experience (or even be able to get into the plane restroom)?
    Tried to do some research on this, and the results were...pretty non-conclusive. All I can conclude from the lack of results is that there aren't really discounts for travel companions in the U.S., and hardly even for people with disabilities. Ugh!
    Thats too bad.
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 162Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @619Drake Good to know! I will have to go there and take advantage of that accommodation!
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 259Moderator Moderator
    For those of you close to the border it would almost make sense to fly from Canada! Especially for longer trips like Hawaii. 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 35Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    Yes, we benefitted from the San Diego Zoo free companion passes. Also while traveling abroad we found that most European countries offer free companion passes as well. I think this is something we need to advocate more for in the US!
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 36Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Recently, I applied for a national park pass that is available to the permanently disabled in the US. It allows you to have free lifetime entrance to any national park in the country! My girlfriend and I love visiting parks and have vacations that we plan on taking to different parks so this might come in handy to anyone who has similar interests. The pass is good for the whole car, so it would benefit everyone in the group!
  • ColeandCharismaColeandCharisma Posts: 12Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Photogenic
    @trevorsendeavor I heard about this and want to apply for one! Cole and I have been searching for more active activities to do together over the summer. Do you know how long it takes to get approved? Also, we love going to the movies and with regal theater, you are allowed a free companion pass. We have noticed that some regal theaters do not grant the companion pass, so it's a good idea to ask beforehand. 

- Charisma 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 115Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    That is awesome @trevorsendeavor I think I want to apply for one as well. @ColeandCharisma thanks for sharing that information I guess regal theater will be my new date spot lol. I will say I paid full price for the ticket lol
    @trevorsendeavor, that's wild, thanks for sharing that info! Do you happen to know about accessibility in national parks? I'd be curious to see if there are people who work at that parks who can assist with getting around.
    More great info! Keep sharing them everyone, I love learning about new places to go or deals I didn't know about!
    thanks!
    @ColeandCharisma It doesn't take very long! I sent mine off and had heard back from them within a couple weeks. As long as you have the documents you need for them to approve you, it's fairly quick!
    @garrisonredd You should! I believe the application fee is $10 dollars but that's almost nothing for how much you can save if you take advantage of it!