Assistance devices for getting up off the floor?

Is assistance with getting up from the floor a thing? I see a lot of commentary about standing frames, but actually what we need is something that could help lift my husband off the floor. He does a lot of things that involve wires and plugging things in and I get asked to crawl around on his behalf a lot. One of the times he broke his leg was when he was getting out of his chair to sit on the floor. Also he occasionally falls out of his chair (usually if he spasms while transferring). He's fallen three times outside - two calls to first responders and one lucky break with a helpful neighbor.
For falls at home, he can get far enough back onto his chair that we can then wheel him to the sofa, transfer him there, then fully back to his chair. But we don't always have that available, and with both of us getting older, it becomes harder each time. He's too big for me to lift and can't lift himself entirely back onto his chair.Suggestions?

Sandra
Peer Mentor for able bodied care givers
Wife of T7 Complete Para

Best Answer

• skosillsskosills Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments
    Accepted Answer
    jaarch said:
    I have a hoyer lift that we have used for this same reason. I am always a lift transfer, so we also use it when we travel. I have a built in ceiling lift in my bedroom.
    We might have to go with that in the future. I didn't realize they would go that far down - I thought they only go to bed height. Thanks!
    Sandra
    Peer Mentor for able bodied care givers
    Wife of T7 Complete Para

Answers

• jaarchjaarch Moderator Posts: 50Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    I have a hoyer lift that we have used for this same reason. I am always a lift transfer, so we also use it when we travel. I have a built in ceiling lift in my bedroom.

• garrisonreddgarrisonredd Moderator Posts: 122Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    @skosills
    Hoyer lifts are great
  • Melody_LacyMelody_Lacy Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper
    Adapted Keyboards
    My husband has tremors in his hands to the point that he cannot type.  For decades he has used the Intelikeys adapted keyboard with a key guard.  With that tool he attained an advanced degree in Therapeutic Recreation.  Intelikeys went out of business and his most recent Intelikeys does not support anything padt Windows 7.  Any suggestions?