Any other siblings of SCI on here?

BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 149Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
Hi! I just wanted to see if there are any other siblings of people with SCI on here. I'd love to chat about similar experiences we've shared from the perspective of a sibling. Also, since I've had this perspective for my entire life, I'd love to chat with anyone who is the sibling of someone recently injured and might feel lost with their new role. I think there's a big lack of understanding of how this role affects someone, so I'd be happy to share insight on it! Feel free to message me privately if that's preferred.

Comments

• 619Drake619Drake Posts: 18Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    @BrookeU
    I am in a very unique situation. In 1980 my younger brother had a car accident, broke his back in 12 places and became a paraplegic. He did not let his challenges slow him down. In the following few years, he completed his college education, got active in wheelchair tennis, found a job, got married and had two kids. To me, his life looked pretty "normal" for a guy in a wheelchair. He and I would go to San Diego Padre games, I watched him compete in marathons and tennis tournaments and I saw him as a happy family man. Then in 1989 I had a motorcycle accident. I woke up in a hospital and one of the first things I remember was my brother telling me he had a new doubles partner, me. I was a T-5 Paraplegic whose perspective had been molded by my brother. Because of my decade with a brother in a wheelchair, my transition into my own wheelchair didn't feel as catastrophic. He pushed me hard through rehab and helped me become an independent wheelchair user. Unfortunately I lost my brother a few years back but I will be forever grateful for his advice, attitude and inspirational life story that I used as a template for my story. FYI, we did get the opportunity to play as doubles partners in several tennis tournaments.  
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 149Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    @619Drake, thank you so much for sharing this. You are right — that's a very unique situation. I'm sorry to hear of your brother's passing, but I'm so glad he got to live a "normal" life. I love that about being doubles partners. I hope that a good thing that came of all this was an even deeper bond as brothers. A lot of people ask if Chris and I are twins, and we are not, but sometimes it feels like we have some kind of twin telepathy. Sibling bonds are truly incredible.
  • ambercollieambercollie Posts: 39Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @619Drake
    Thank You for sharing your story! Your brother sounded like a Amazing person and role model. I'm sorry for your loss. I met one other lady who took care of her little brother who was paralyzed around 17 then became a quadriplegic herself in her 30's. Your story is rare and inspirational.
    You sound just as Amazing as your brother! So glad you played in tennis tournament together I'm sure it's a wonderful memory.

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 212Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @619Drake
     Wow this is a truly amazing story. Thank you for sharing. I am so happy there are siblings on this platform. Makes this life a little happier for us knowing that you guys care enough about your brothers and sisters to participate in this platform  - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)