what modifications did you have to make to your home?

garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 82Moderator Moderator
25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
I am looking to inquire what modifications you had to make to your home? I am doing a survey.

Comments

• SterlionSterlion Posts: 44Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I had to get a ramp for my entrances, a roll in shower and a closet rack that pulls down so I can reach my clothes. I also needed door handles instead of knobs.
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 82Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for your response may I inquire what level are you @Sterlion also did you get any assistance to help cover the cost. As we know these modifications can be pricey.
    I am c5-c6. I got everything paid for by my state (vocational rehab).
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 82Moderator Moderator
    That is great what state do you live in @Sterlion
    @garrisonredd yeah I’m very thankful for it. Trying to get more people to take advantage.
  • jaarchjaarch Posts: 44Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    I'm a T-3 complete and we had extensive work done to our new (to us) house before we moved in. We completely gutted the kitchen and went with new cabinets (with pull-outs), new tile flooring, and granite countertops. We also widened every door in the house to 36" and upgraded them all to solid core. We had two rooms off of the kitchen(a pantry and a mud room) we took out the wall that divided them and made one big room with a 40" pocket door. In my bedroom we went with tile flooring and a built-in ceiling lift. My bathroom had a jacuzzi tub that we would not ever use so we removed it and added another door going outside to act as my secondary egress point from my bedroom (a VA requirement). The toilet was in what was basically a closet that I could not get into in my commode chair so the wall came out and the toilet was moved so I could use it. The existing shower was gutted and a whole new roll-in one was built complete with trough drain. All new smoke detectors and light fixtures with LED bulbs in everything and new paint in every room. We used rubber door ramps for my wheelchair access to the house as well. All and all we spent about 100k on all of the modifications and the VA gave me 92K in grants so, they basically paid for everything. It really helped that the previous owner, who built the house, has a brother in the concrete business and there is concrete EVERYWHERE with not a single step on the entire property.
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 29Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    When I had my house made to be accessible, I had to do a few main things. I added space to my entry room by extending the wall further into the garage to make room for the lift I had installed to get up the few stairs I had. Then the other major modifications had to do with the bathroom remodel and widening a few doorways. I had my bathroom completely gutted and made into a wide open roll-in shower, otherwise my bathroom would have been too small. Fortunately, my house is a one story ranch style, so the modifications could have been much more significant. I also was fortunate enough to get a donated stair lift that we installed to go down into the basement, but it is unfinished and I have actually only been down there when we were under tornado warning, the lift isn't the easiest to use. 

From there, i installed organizational storage racks in my closet and pantries and got rid of as many closet doors as I could in order to try and maximize space. I'm always making little changes around the house when I find a quick fix to certain problems!