Manual Wheelchair Tire Preferences

trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
What brand and style of tire do you prefer on your wheelchair? What is it that you keep in mind when deciding what tires to purchase? I have tried a few different types but seem to always go back to Schwalbe’s marathon plus. It seems to be the most durable and versatile tire for every day use. In terms of a knobby off-road style tire, I seem to like the Kenda nevegal which I use complimented with my freewheel when off road or in the yard.  Seems to do the trick, but I have not tried too many others. 

Anyone else have a preference on the tires they use from day to day, or for any other special purposes?

Comments

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 282Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    edited April 30
    @trevorsendeavor I am really interested in what people say in this post. My husband (C4 quad) has Topolino Carbon Core WX2.5 wheels and spinergy IRC tires and the reason he has this combo is because they're so light, and help him to propel them with limited arm function - with his left arm being at a C3 level function wise. When he was building his chair he tried some other tires and they just added too much weight. These wheels in total weigh 1 lb each with the tire so it makes it easier for me to deal with when breaking down the chair as his caregiver, but also adds less weight overall to the frame of his chair. We have had them for 4 years and so far, they haven't needed to be serviced accept just the occasional pumping up. I am interested to see what others say about this combo.. he needs all the help he can get when pushing as he isn't fully independent in his manual chair. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! - Brooke (WAGS of SCI)
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 120Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    Kenda Tires are pretty good.
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    @WAGSofSCI I use Spinergy wheels because they are so light! I’ll have to check out the wheels and tires you mentioned. Same here with my girlfriend- she breaks down my chair when we ride together and I have always had good luck with spinergy wheels but always am looking to try different tires. I’m always looking for options to keep my setup lightweight so that it’s easy for myself and others to break the chair down! 
    @garrisonredd do you use kenda tires for everyday use? I’ve only used the knobbies. 
  • BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 39Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    I've gone through 3 wheelchairs now and for a manual chair I've loved my Spinergy wheels. Some insurances consider them an upgrade, but I've found them well worth it.
    @BrittanyFrank I love my Spinergy wheels! I agree, they are a bit pricey but for as active as I am i find it to be worth it. Especially with my offroad setup where I use knobby tires, I wouldn't trade my Spinergy wheels for anything.