How Do You Stay "Inspired" to Keep Going?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hey All. Brooke here :)

I have a question for ALL of you on Reeve Connect: how do you stay inspired to keep "going" and moving forward? 

Whether you're having constant set backs, medical issues, stress, burnout or mental/emotional turmoil, what tools do you have to keep yourself going and staying inspired to truly live life well? This question is for those with a spinal cord injury and those who are caregivers or loved ones of someone with this injury. 

Sometimes in this SCI life, there are periods of what may seem to be CONSTANT struggles. They say bad things happen in three's - I disagree. Sometimes it can seem like bad things happen in 10's or 20's when you're dealing with Spinal Cord Injury. Its one thing after another, and it is a battle to keep on top of your mental strength to push yourself to keep going and not give up on life. 

We all have these battles - and we are all interested to know what makes YOU inspired to carry on? Do you have a certain technique, tip or process you do that works for you? Do you have any advice as to how you overcome obstacles? Do you have a certain thing you do, passion project you work on, something to distract you, something to live for that works well to help you to stay on track? What helps to keep you inspired?

Please comment below as this is something we ALL struggle with. Thank you

- Brooke (WAGS of SCI)

Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    It can be so hard to find motivation on some days. On those days when I don't feel like working out or even getting out of bed, I think about all the gains that I have made and I would hate to regress. Of course, this only pertains to when all is physically okay and I am not dealing with a UTI or any of the other things that can pop up in our lives.

There is a lot to be said for having a strong team of support behind you as well. I know on the days when I am feeling low or trying to find a way out of a funk...my girlfriend, friends, and family are always there to remind me things could be worse and giving up is not an option. I know there are so many people that are rooting for me to keep making progress and do my best to live life to the fullest regardless of my injury. I don't always have a positive attitude but I try to, and it's nice to have that support to help you through those times.

I guess my advice to others in our situations would be to take one day at a time and try to have a positive attitude no matter what. There's so many things that can go wrong, and like @WAGSofSCI mentioned above, it seems to all happen at once. I try to remember that tomorrow will be better and it's always a new day. I can't even guess how many days I have had where every single thing goes wrong but the next morning I wake up and have a great day. So whether you are talking about fitness, recovery, or just daily life, I think it is so important to remember each morning is a new day and you can't beat yourself up when you have one of those very bad days.
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 193Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    One of the things that I have taught myself whenever I am feeling down is to remember that there are others out there who have it worse than I do. I think about all the things I still have rather than what I wish I had. An example is I would always wish my hands would just work and if they did everything would be better. But then there are SCI's who do not have any movement or function below their level of injury and may look at me and wish they could just move their arms like I can. I think perspective is key and being grateful for what you do have. Easier said than done, but has helped me when I get in a negative mindset. Like @trevorsendeavor said just take one day at a time and do your best to maintain a positive attitude. Everyday is a new start and we have the choice to choose where we put our energy and focus. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @Zcollie
    @trevorsendeavor

These are great tips and great advice from both of you. 

Thank you!
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)