Places You've Been with Exemplary Accessibility

BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 169Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
Are there any places you've been that should be in a textbook about shining examples of accessibility? Cities, businesses, attractions, etc. Share it here with all the details on why it was so great!

Comments

• NbrysonNbryson Posts: 3Member
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Brooke, there are accessible van companies in almost every state in the country. Depending on where you are heading, there are different companies available that will bring an accessible van right to the airport for you. Also, Orlando and Denver (from what I have been told) are the most accessible cities in the US. 
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 169Moderator Moderator
    That's great to know, @Nbryson! I've tried to research what the most accessible cities in the US are, and it's interesting that there is no true consensus. Several cities seem to be popular answers, but others less are agreed-upon. I had previously read somewhere that Seattle is a wheelchair-friendly city. My brother (who uses a manual wheelchair), our mom, and I went on a trip there a few years ago. It was so incredibly hilly (I had to wear shorts under my dress so I could push him up and down hills), but the people there were very helpful...so while the terrain was difficult, the people made it as wheelchair-friendly as they could :)
  • suzsuz Posts: 4Moderator Moderator
    Name Dropper First Comment
    One of the hardest places I've found is San Francisco.. so hilly, the sidewalks are quite uneven and the curb cuts are pretty unpredictable. And I had some bad experiences with Uber drivers being super rude to me.
    I found San Diego and LA to be pretty awesome though!! 
    I'm from London and it has it's good and bad points - the public transport and taxis are good on the whole, but it can get quite crowded wheeling around on the streets.
    @BrookeU - have you traveled to London with your brother?
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 169Moderator Moderator
    Hey, @suz! I've been to San Francisco, but not with my brother, and I can definitely see how it would be difficult for him to get around. We have not traveled to London together, but hopefully we can in the future! I traveled to Barcelona several years ago without my family, and I couldn't help but notice how accessible everything seemed there, too.