Tips + Tricks

BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 11Moderator Moderator
Name Dropper First Comment
What little tricks have made your life easier? Do you attach a key ring to the zippers on your boots so you can put them on more easily? Share all your secret tips here!

Comments

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 10Moderator Moderator
    Photogenic 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    For power wheelchair users, most chairs have rails used to mount various items to the chair, Those rails can also be used to attach additional items like reach tools, bags, and just about anything else you can think of. 
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 3Member
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    It can be hard to grip and turn keys with being a quadriplegic, to help with this I put a screw through the keychain hole for leverage when turning them. 
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 11Moderator Moderator
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Sterlion said:
    It can be hard to grip and turn keys with being a quadriplegic, to help with this I put a screw through the keychain hole for leverage when turning them. 
    Hi, @Sterlion! If possible, could you attach a photo of this? You're so right about gripping and turning keys being difficult as a quadriplegic, so I want to make sure everyone knows exactly how your trick works! If uploading a photo isn't possible, could you describe a little more? Thanks for contributing!
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 3Member
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    BrookeU said:
    Sterlion said:
    Hi, @Sterlion! If possible, could you attach a photo of this? You're so right about gripping and turning keys being difficult as a quadriplegic, so I want to make sure everyone knows exactly how your trick works! If uploading a photo isn't possible, could you describe a little more? Thanks for contributing!

• iamdadmaniamdadman Posts: 8Moderator Moderator
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    That is ingenious!!!  Awesome.
  • LemonZestLemonZest Posts: 1Member
    First Comment Photogenic
    I keep a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool in my side bag in case I drop my keys  ;)
  • SpearJanisSpearJanis Posts: 4Member
    First Comment Photogenic
    The key thing is great. 
    I made a lifting belt for my hubby that works around his waist and under his legs to pick him up for transfers.  There was nothing like it available here and we needed one.
    I also find that it is useful to run his urine bag (day bag is 750ml) into an evening bag that holds 2l so I don't have to get up and empty it every 4 hours.  I was going psychotic with lack of sleep and this has helped SO much.

I will take photos and upload here in case they can help someone else.
  • EmmsEmms Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Removing metal marks on porcelain .. aka chair bumping onto the toilet and leaving grey markings.  If you don't have front protectors!!.... Bar Keepers Friend, aka oxalic acid, works like magic! 
    “Inhale the future. Exhale the past.”

• EmmsEmms Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Roho cushion repairs..  my cushions range from  10- 20 years old now, I stopped using the patches because after a few years they'd either peel a bit round the edges and start leaking, and be sticking paches over patches, and not for a permanent fix! If you try to take them off even with a little heat they'll tear the cushion.

Black Witch neoprene glue will permanently bond the neoprene rubber the rohos are made from. If you have a tear... bridge the glue like sutures on the tear first and wait for it to cure, then apply a second thick coat over the top to seal the hole. The secret with this stuff is not to apply too thinly. You need it to be at least the same thickness of the rubber when applying to large holes. 
    Some previously patched tears and holes. 

Fixing...

“Inhale the future. Exhale the past.”

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 10Moderator Moderator
    Photogenic 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    After crushing my big toenail while trying to open a spring loaded door, I came up with the following design for a set of wheels to assist me in opening doors and providing protection for my feet. I used 1"x 1/4" steel to make the brackets, one straight and one with an offset bend to allow for the thickness of the wheel. For wheels I used Rollerblade wheels and they are mounted horizontally to the bottom of my foot plates. I attached the brackets to the foot plates with carriage bolts and nylon insert lock nuts. I used grade 8 bolts, speed washers, and nylon insert lock nuts for the axles on the wheels. I did have to remove some material from the underside of the foot plates to allow the brackets to fit flush to the bottom of the foot plates. The remaining foot plate material is 1/4" thick aluminum and shows no sign if being weakened. I have been using this set of wheels for just over three years and, other that the occasional scrape on the ground, I have had no major issues with them. Care must be taken during the install to ensure there are no exposed sharp edges that could cause injury during transfers. I ground down the exposed bolt threads with a Dremel tool.