Robot Lawnmower — Reeve Connect
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.

Robot Lawnmower

BrookeU
BrookeU Moderator Posts: 175 Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic
I do not personally own one of these, but I saw one for the first time ever a couple of days ago. At first, I laughed because it seemed do hilariously 21st century to me. Then, I realized this could actually be very useful for people who can't use a typical lawnmower. Many of you might be familiar with this, but it's new to me! I'm not sure what brand the one I saw was because it was actively mowing in a stranger's yard, and I'm sure prices vary, but here is link to an article featuring several models: https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/best-robot-lawnmowers/. If anyone has one and recommends a certain brand, please let us know!

Comments

• Brandilane1
    Brandilane1 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Oh this is my jam!  I purchased the cheapest one I could find from Lowe’s (around $699 if I remember correctly) several years ago and suckered my best friend into laying the ground wire. It took about a half of a day to do and he stressed it pretty bad. It did a GREAT job of cutting the grass. However it kept getting hung up in one corner of my yard that I also couldn’t get to so I got pretty annoyed with it. Because we want to be independent right?  Well I was still very independent but I’ve got very little patience so I started researching other brands. I talked to my best friend about it and he was not not on board with laying the wire again- I could count him out for the next install for sure! But he had previously recommended husqvarna when I bought the cheap one. He still recommended that one and they will install it for you too so he was REALLY pushing it ha. Plus the other lawnmower only mowed the grass that was fenced in in my back yard. I needed a lawnmower that would go through my gate to the front yard while also going over my driveway and from my research I knew husqvarna could do that. 

There was a local dealer here in town about 5 miles from me that sold and serviced them. Shoutout to Northport Power Equipment. A locally owned joint by 2 brothers ((Bryant and Keith) with hearts of gold. They came out and looked at my yard and we discussed the different mower options, the costs and financing. I could have gotten one that fit the bill for $2200, installation $250. But I got the same mower that has an app you can control it with for $3300 including installation. I didn’t have to have that but I work 80 hours a week and 7 days a week so anything I can find that saves me time and ENERGY—-uh I’m about it. One brothers specialty was getting the wire to go thru the concrete sidewalk and driveway while the other brother was laying the wire around the house and lot into the ground. It was mid July so it took 2 days. Minus the heat they could have finished in less than 1 day. 

This robot cuts my whole yard!  Uh minus what you would normally have to cut with a Weedeater after manually cutting the grass. I’ve had it for 2 years now and I only have 2 complaints. 

1. I keep cutting the underground wire with the Weedeater but that’s 200% my fault. And these brothers have come out and fixed it every single time free of charge (that is not the norm) They also came out and did an upgrade on it last year before spring that gave me more options and ways to control it through the app. Best I remember he said it would have cost $150-$250. 

2.  It’s raised as high as it will go but I’d like it to be a tad higher. It cuts a little too short in places and some of my grass will turn brown for a few days. So I don’t get to cut it every day as recommended and as I would like to. I’ve learned to cut it once a week like a normal person and not the obsessive person that I am at heart!  I want to cut it all the time because I never get tired of watching it!  It’s so quiet, it can cut all night, it can cut in the rain, it’s relentless!  It’s works very similar to a robotic mop or vacuum cleaner. They all take a TON of hard work and manual labor and turn it into button pushing, changing filters, etc. 

One set of blades costs about $25 and I can install them myself, it’s so easy. They look a lot like a razor blade. You should change them about twice a year. 

So....as long as I don’t cut the wire I’m golden, it’s fun to watch, everyone loves it, great conversation starter with the neighbors, mailman, neighborhood walkers and visitors. And my yard is beautiful!!!! I like to weedeat at the same time in the same vicinity it’s cutting that way I know where the cut wire is because it stops immediately. Makes it a little easier to fix and if I know where it’s at I can just get a visitor to splice it for me while they are here for a visit. 

Feel free to reach out to me if you are interested and want to hear more. I rambled too long already but there’s a ton more I could tell....