People with disabilities in the theatre

BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 164Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
Hi, everyone! I spent this past weekend with one of my best friends who I hadn't seen in a while, and he happens to be in the musical theatre community. I was talking with him about how I feel like people with disabilities are still struggling to be cast in film and television. He mentioned to me that the theatre community is pretty ahead of the curve with this, casting people with disabilities not only in roles of characters who have disabilities, but even in roles of those who do not. This was really exciting to hear and not something that I realized, since I don't pay very close attention to theatre. Just thought I'd share!

Comments

• ambercollieambercollie Posts: 56Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @BrookeU
    I've noticed this actually, very Cool!
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 259Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @BrookeU
    I signed my husband up for extra work through an Extra website and although he hasn't been called in yet, I feel like this would be a great role for a person in a chair AND their caregiver! I have noticed more wheelchair users in extra roles lately (over the past year or so) and I think its going to get more and more prevalent as inclusivity becomes more of a priority in Hollywood. This is good news for wheelchair users who want to have a job that is occasional but pays higher than a minimum wage role. - Brooke
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 1Member
    First Comment
    I'd just like to do something in community theatre as an extra.Never tried it but sounds like fun.
  • ambercollieambercollie Posts: 56Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    My other son who's not in a chair as been a extra in a couple Hawaii shows...point is wheelchair users could totally do this!