Sleeping with your PARTNER post Spinal Cord Injury

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello lovely people,

When Dan and I first came out of rehabilitation into our rental apartment, sleeping beside each other was a big question, mostly because we were curious of how and where the over head lift would be installed. We ordered two single beds beside each other; his being the fancy shmancy one with all the bells and whistles. The remote attached to his bed allowed his to raise his torso and legs up and down for sitting up and laying down, while mine was a pretty standard flat-laying frame. When the installation crew came into install the lift however, they installed it between our two beds rather than on either side, which would allow it to glide across both beds. 

Inteeerrrresssstingggg... I thought. 

They quickly took it all apart and reinstalled it properly when I stated that we would not be sleeping a meter apart from one another, lol!!

As many of you have either experienced or can image, sleeping together doesn't only bond you but in an SCI situation, it's really helpful to be close for rotating body positions, fixing jumping and spasming legs and body parts, or giving medications and water bottles etc during the night.

Now that it has been almost three years, we've come across a completely different conversation about sleeping together...

It's about bedding. Particularly about the duvet. Our two beds pushed together equal to ONE king bed. Meaning, that our duvet is one big massive and heavy blanket. I always request for us to have two separate ones as Dan has become mostly independent during the nights and can do his own ICP's all night long but I find myself waking up every couple hours from the pulling of the blanket. I have requested to have two single duvets but he says it will look odd. While I was ill we did use two separate duvets so I wouldn't have to share an icky sweaty one with him but he says it's much to heavy to have his own. 

SO, I come to you!! What are your thoughts? Do you have a system to works well for you and your partner? Please, please, please share it with us. We'd love to hear all of your routines and bedding set up! 

Thanks so much,

Elena 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 193Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    This is a great topic and something I struggled with when I started sharing my bed with my girlfriend. I have crazy body spasms and at night I use motor cycle tie downs that wrap around my bed and go over my knees to keep them from kicking up. When my girlfriend would stay the night she would have to lay on top of them and it was really uncomfortable for her. When we moved out together we decided to get a new bed that would work for both of us. Like you did, my girlfriend and I got two twin long beds and when pushed together make a king. Now I can put my tie down over my bed and she does not have to lay on them, but can still be next to me. It works great for the both of us and we love our beds! 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    Great feedback! 
    Thanks @Zcollie ;
    Ok, next question is..what do you guys do with your bed remote, water supply, medication, or tv remote when you go to sleep? Lol, I know this sounds pretty specific..but, I say this because all of these things end up on my bed and on top of me during the night. Also, Dan's bed remote falls off the bed and onto the floor. We actually have to repair it now because it has taken a tumble so many times...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again, 

Elena
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    Haha that is so funny you say that because Bree always ends up with the remotes on her side of the bed. Medication I take before I even get in bed. For water I have a camel pack next to me so I can drink my own water throughout the night. I have a night stand right next to my bed so when I am done positioning my bed with the remote and tv remote. I can put the remotes on the stand and leave them there. Although I did drop my bed remote one time and it broke. Cost me over $100 because it was for my bed. Bree usually sleeps with her remote lol. She sleeps against the wall so it never falls on the floor. I feel your struggle though haha 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie

I wonder if there is a better way to do this though? They should have some sort of system where to place the remote into a holder? Ours literally slides off the bed. 

Elena
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    @WAGSofSCI Yeah our bed does not come with a bed remote holder:/ but that is a great idea. It is definitely a struggle haha.