WATER!!!

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hi friends,

Let's talk health, wellness, nutrition and life... 

WATER!

Drinking 8L of water a day not only in fluids but this can also include meals is very crucial to the functioning of your body, especially after Spinal Cord Injury. This is a big topic in our household. I wont lie- I hardly drink that but I know how important it is for my boyfriend to drink enough water for skin wellness, for organ function, bladder health, having a having bowel program will also mean that you will have an easier time. This is something my partner and I definitely notice. Eating plenty of greens along with lots and lots of water will, without a doubt make your life 100% easier. He is pretty mindful about water intake at night as this can determine how many times he has to do an ICP...

What are your thoughts? For those of us who don't LOVE water, what else do you drink?

Elena 

Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 209Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    Drinking water is so important after a Spinal Cord Injury. I sadly learned the hard way and passed a kidney stone due to not being hydrated enough haha. Now first thing I do when I wake up is drink water and right before I go to bed. It is hard to drink a lot of water being in a chair. I am always sitting down and don't exercise every single day so my body does not get thirsty. I have to remind and force myself to drink water otherwise I can forget and go hours without drinking. One of the ways that helps me drink more water is adding flavor. I like crystal light but it has sugar or Mio which does not. I noticed when I drink more water it makes me pee more and my bladder feels normal. When I do not pee as often then my bladder has a discomforting feeling. One of the best things you can do for your body is drink lots of water.
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie

Valid points!
    Thank you for this.

Do you ever notice that if you do not drink enough water, you body is more susceptible to a UTI? One of THE best thing to drink in this case is 100% pure, sugar free and if you can get organic, cranberry juice. Not cranberry cocktail but the real-shmeal-deal. It tastes like pure bitter death but it works! Sort of like Buckleys...it tastes awful but it works! Lol! am I right or am I right?

Elena
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    Yeah I definitely feel like when I do not drink enough water I am more susceptible to getting a UTI. Thankfully, I have never had a serious one and it has been a long time since my last one. I take a cranberry pill everyday and do my best to stay away from sodas and really sugary drinks. Yes! Haha. I have only had the real deal cranberry juice a few times and it is nasty. I wish the good tasting one helped more but it has a lot of sugar in it. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • jaarchjaarch Posts: 50Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    I hang a camelbak on the back of my chair so I always have water with me where ever I go.
    @jaarch Yeah that is a great idea. I keep a hyroflask on me and it makes me drink more water. I sleep with a camelback so I can drink water on my own throughout the night. 
    Coconut water and Kombucca as well as the SODA STREAM are huge things at our house. My hubby loves drinking water that is bubbly. The machine was $199 and paid for itself basically within a month.. no more wasting plastic bottles of sparkly water either! Does anyone else find it easier to drink water when its fizzy? -Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    @jaarch The pack is super important and we had one hanging off our partners chairs when we left rehab but, we noticed that we also had a lot of accidents through the night with it as well. For example, the tip of the camel pack would blow off when my boyfriend (Dab) had it in bed beside him and soak our entire bed, both his and mine. So, switching over to a proper water bottle that he can drink out of while laying down took a TONE of trial and error. 

Any thoughts? Have you found something else that works?
    @Zcollie

-Elena
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    That has totally happened to me before in my bed. I have woken up in the middle of the night and my bed is soaked with water from my water bag. I have to make sure the mouth piece is always above the water bag. If not, it will leak. I do not have a better solution, for me a water bottle would be to difficult. I could maybe do a hydro flask that I keep in bed, but I would rather risk the water bag. I can also close the mouth piece every time after I use it so it will not leak at night.  
    @Zcollie
    If you are ever looking for a water bottle that doesn't leak try the CamelBack Eddie water bottle - it has a straw like function where the spout comes out the top and you suck the water out yourself - but when you turn it upside down and roll it around it doesn't leak ever. It has been a game changer for my hubby as its the only one we have found that he can use and keep in bed without leaking. There is also a round handle at the top that makes it easier for him to grab with his thumb. - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ColeandCharismaColeandCharisma Posts: 12Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Photogenic
    This is so important! Cole does not drink as much water as he should and I'm always explaining why it is so important! We have become so busy that both of us forget to drink water like we should. We definitely notice he is more susceptible to getting a UTI when he doesn't drink enough water. Cole has recently become obsessed with coffee and it has actually helped with his programs! @Zcollie I love the idea of adding flavor to your water! I'm going to start doing that for sure for Cole! 

- Charisma 
    @WAGSofSCI Okay, I will check that out! Thank you for the info! @ColeandCharisma  Yeah I struggle drinking enough water throughout the day. Adding flavor to my water makes me drink so much more. I love crystal light but it has a lot of sugar. Bree and I really like Mio flavoring. It taste good and does not have sugar. 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 130Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    @ColeandCharisma  @Zcollie I increased my water intake and to at least 4 bottles a day and see an overall improvement in my health immediately.