Any Alternatives To Condom Catheters

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hi All

My husband and I are wondering what alternatives there are to condom catheters in existence? What does everyone use? He voids on his own ALL the time and he has had many urodynamics exams to ensure its safe for him to void on his own naturally. He uses a condom Cath and leg bag but wonders what else is out there available?

What does everyone use for bladder?

Thanks in advance

Brooke 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 173Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I have used a condom catheter pretty much since I had my accident. I am very grateful that my body can release my pee on its own and I do not have to cath. It does suck though always having my penis stuck in the condom. I feel bad for the guy. Sometimes I wish I could go without it to let him air out and breathe. I have never heard of another way or alternative. Curious to hear what others have to say.  
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Zcollie I no longer wear one but when I did I took it off when I was able to get in the shower. Not sure how often you shower but its definitly something to try when possible.
    @Sterlion Oh yeah, whenever I shower I take it off. I put a fresh one on every morning when I wake up and before I go to bed. I just miss having bladder function and being able to hold my pee lol. Do you intermittent cath now? 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Zcollie
    No I get botox so I no longer need tubes hanging from my leg. Like you said I felt real bad for the guy so its nice to be able to look down and see its just all me down there.
    @Sterlion Oh right on! I have heard botox can really help with that. Yeah I agree! Haha 
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie
    Sounds like you literally have the exact same bladder as my husband  :D As for the botox thing, my hubby isn't getting it because it requires you to Cath every few hours.. he cant Cath himself on his own and the leg bag is the only thing that gives him a reasonable chance at some independence. I can leave him with a large leg bag on for up to 6 hours without issues.. also he can go out with friends for the night and no one has to Cath him.. they just easily help him drain his bag if needed. this means he doesn't need a nurse and I dont need to come home to Cath him. Also, we dont have to wake up at night and Cath either. So that's the reason why he hasn't done botox. Whats your reason for not doing it? - Brooke 

Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    @WAGSofSCI Preach it Brooke!!! Exactly :D 
  • bigwave916bigwave916 Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't t  hink I could keep a condem catheter on during the day, but we use one at night.  Otherwise I am cathing every three hours and its a strain on my wife.  I want to try driving again and getting out on my own once in a while, but she has to be with me all the time along with the catheter bag. 
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
    @bigwave916
    What prevents you from using it during the day? this is pretty much the only way my husband has up to 6 hours of independence. - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    I could not be on my own throughout the day if I did not have a condom cath and my JB3 leg bag device that allows me to empty my bag all on my own. 
    @bigwave916 How come you would rather ICP during the day and only use a condom cath at night?
  • bigwave916bigwave916 Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Zcollie said:
    I could not be on my own throughout the day if I did not have a condom cath and my JB3 leg bag device that allows me to empty my bag all on my own. 
    @bigwave916 How come you would rather ICP during the day and only use a condom cath at night?
    WAGSofSCI said:
    @bigwave916
    What prevents you from using it during the day? this is pretty much the only way my husband has up to 6 hours of independence. - Brooke 

Its not so much a matter of preference.  I have difficulty keeping a condom catheter on all night long, and it seems that it would be even more difficult if I was moving around in my chair during the day. To put it in blunt terms, I used to be average, but the effects of aging have caused shrinkage.  In addition, what I have left is retracted and must be extricated from the foreskin for cathing so a condom catheter, not recommended for overnight, is being used anyway while sleeping but just not going to work while sitting in the chair.

@bigwave916 Okay well that makes a lot more sense. You are right, I don't think a condom catheter would be useful for you.