How do you bathe with a ventilator

MHodappMHodapp Posts: 1Member
I am a 27-year-old with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy currently living with my parents, who are my caregivers, in Hawaii. I do not have the muscles to move or support any part of my body, including my head. I am trying to figure out  how I can take a shower while hooked up to my ventilator (right now I manage to be off the ventilator long enough to take a shower but it is only a matter of time until that does not work any longer).  Currently, I am using a simple shower/commode chair that I recline to about 30° in order to sit comfortably without falling out of the chair. The chair is inside an unusually large shower (71" by 86") we were very lucky to find. The person showering me has no problem going all the way around the chair. We are planning to move to the Atlanta area in a few years and have realized that we are not going to find a home with either a shower approaching that size or a bathroom large enough to put a 6 foot square shower in without converting the whole bathroom into a shower. So, we are trying to figure out how other people in my situation take a shower. 

Does anybody have advice or suggestions?
 — 

Answers