Best Accessible/Affordable Places to Live

ZcollieZcollie Posts: 193Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
Hey everyone, I am not sure if this topic has been talked about yet or not. But I am curious as to where all of you live and how you like it. My girlfriend and I live in Orange County, California. We both love it here, but it is outrageously expensive. I can't really see myself living outside of California but I most likely will not be able to afford living here in the future. I want to have a back up plan and have other options. 
My question is what is an affordable state that has weather as close to California as possible. One of my biggest reasons for wanting to stay is my family, the accessibility and weather. The weather here is perfect for a spinal cord injury. I do not want to live anywhere that snows. I prefer the warm weather over cold. Trying to think about my future and where I will be able to afford to live. What states are warm, have good accessibility and are affordable? 
Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI

Comments

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @Zcollie
    My husband feels the same way you do about California - the weather is PERFECT for the quad life. We would love to live there - he dreams about living close to Palo Alto but, thats pricier than anywhere haha!!

Off the top of my head maybe moving closer to Northern California or a suburb that is more inward in central California. When we were living in San Diego it was SUPER expensive in the city and most areas by the water, but as we moved inward, the rents were noticeably cheaper than by the water areas, but still so close! We lived on the outskirts of Vista close to Carlsbad.. the rents were a few hundred dollars cheaper a month than a 5 min drive closer to the water. Also, I knew a quad and his girlfriend and they lived in Sacramento. They both said they could afford a rancher house there and it was much cheaper but similar weather to LA.

If you're open to moving, I heard that Nevada and the "newer" areas of Las Vegas are extremely good for wheelchair accessibility. .the only downside is its so hot in the summer you need AC. The housing prices are SO cheap there. We stayed for a week outside lake Los Vegas once and I actually really liked it - we were in a newly developed area and because we always look at the housing prices wherever we go, we learned we could afford a HOUSE there (we live in a tiny apartment in Vancouver because its SO expensive here too).

Another "if you're open to moving" suggestion - the southern parts of Oregon are AMAZING for weather and accessibility. It doesn't rain as much as northern Oregon (closer to where we live LOL), and you're close to wine country. It has a very California vibe.

Im definitely interested to seeing what else is posted on this thread. Great question! - Brooke 

Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 193Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI Yeah you are absolutely right. It is MUCH cheaper to live more inland than by the water. I pray that when I finally start working and making money I will be able to live somewhere in California. I would definitely not be apposed to moving up north to wine country. Bree and I would also like to stay as close to our parents as possible. I guess I will have to just wait and see when the time comes. That would be cool if we lived closer to each other in the future(: 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 52Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    I'd love to hear more suggestions. St. George which is in southern Utah and Arizona, I'd imagine are both cheaper but also can get very hot. But since there's more of a draw for retirement, I believe more houses are one level and tend to not have stairs and may even find some to be ADA.