First Year of Being Paralyzed

ZcollieZcollie Posts: 175Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
Hey everyone,
I am starting a new podcast series on my YouTube channel and I was asked by some of my followers what is something I wish people told me the first year I was paralyzed. What are some tips or ticks I wished I had the first year of having my accident. 

I really liked this question and thought I would ask it on here and see what you all have to say. I know there will be some similar and very different answers and thought it would be a good idea to talk about

For me, I wish I would have been told the impact it would have on my social life and friends. I was a very social teenager before my accident happened and I still am. I lost a good amount of friends and I am grateful for my accident showing me who my real friends were, but I it was really hard on me watching all of my friends having fun, going to parties, school dances, and other events without me in high school. That really affected me the most... 
Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI

Comments

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 280Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    I wish both my husband and I would have been told (or warned) about emotional phases that happen. We are sure to mention this now with every new WAG of SCI we connect this who is new to this life that these phases happen, and to not blame yourself. I wish I had been told that it is not my fault - the emotional struggle - and that these phases are normal and NECESSARY in the grieving process. Lots of women blame themselves and couples don't seem to understand that these phases are not reflective of THEIR relationship, but each individual grieving. Relationships often fail after this injury, not because of the injury itself - but what the phases of grief do to people who do not know about them. - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 175Moderator Moderator
    @WAGSofSCI That is a good one. Thank you for sharing. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 73Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Zcollie
    Going off yours because its really good, I wish that someone would've told me that some of the people who you think are your friends will stop coming around. Another way to put it is you'll find out who your real friends are. 

Something else I wish I'd known is nothing happens on schedule anymore. You have to plan everything in advance have to give things you expect in a couple days, either a few more days or even weeks of grace period. (I wish this was an exaggeration)
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 175Moderator Moderator
    @Sterlion This injury will definitely show you who your real friends are. Yeah you are right about that, we have to plan way in advance for things now. SCI life...
  • CruckerCrucker Posts: 58Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    I wish someone had told me that I didn't have to go back to work right away, that I could take the time necessary to find a new equilibrium. I tried to jump back into work like nothing had happened and within two weeks, I suffered a pulmonary embolism and almost died. I then found someone other than my wife with whom I could talk about my awful, depressing feelings and they'd get it. Usually that someone has recently been wounded themselves. In my case, my pen pal had just lost her husband to cancer. Plus she was a professional therapist! I never signed up for any therapy but I signed up for her.

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 39Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    I wish someone would have told me that I couldn't suppress the grief & loss forever and that I needed to grieve the traumatic loss I'd experienced. I also realized a year out just how much stronger I was as I reflected over my first year.