Walking Lanes vs. Bike Lanes for Wheelchairs?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
The other day my boyfriend Dan and I were out for a walk with out two dogs (Charles & Frank). We live in Vancouver, B.C- a city that supports bicycle use and emission free transportation. Doesn't matter what part of the city you go to, you will hear the "swooosh" from bicycles whipping around every corner and down the street. 

The side walk is split into two lanes; walking and biking. I've added a photo below to show you guys what our wheels/ walks typically look like. When we are in the walking lane, joggers pass up and look back wondering why a chair with wheels is in the walking lane, and when we go into the bike lane- we're too slow. 

What are your thoughts? Let us know!

Elena

Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• nightqueen1nightqueen1 Posts: 11Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    I would say he can go in either the bike lane or the walking lane. His wheelchair gives him permission to go in whatever area he CAN go into. Also, his wheels are wider than the average pedestrian, so Ive seen wheelchairs in there because they can fit better without forcing people to get out of the way 
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    What @nightqueen1 said. If it were me I'd use the sidewalk/roll. Especially if I'm walking with someone. I'd rather slow down a jogger or possibly run into one over a bike.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @nightqueen1 ;
    @Sterlion ;

Thanks for your responses. I wonder if they will come up with a lane for wheelchairs in the future?

Elena
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)