***Who gets to PARK in ACCESSIBLE Parking?!***

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI ModeratorPosts: 301Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello everybody!

I have an interesting question for you all regarding parking in accessible parking spots if your partner in a chair stays in the vehicle while you run into the store....

What are your thoughts around this topic? Do you park in accessible parking while your partner waits...or do you park in regular parking even if you have to "run in quickly"

Thanks a bunch!

Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• nightqueen1nightqueen1 Posts: 11Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI
    Great question - guilty.. I do in fact do this when my partner is in the car. Usually, its because I am getting something for him so I dont feel so bad about it, or, he needs something fast and I dont have time to get him out and set up, and we just do it this way instead. Very interested in others responses. 
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    Thank you for your response @nightqueen1 ;

Would love to hear some other perspectives as well. :)
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • SterlionSterlion Moderator Posts: 77Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Personally, I feel that if I'm with someone that gives them a right to park in handicap. 1. Because its less time for me to wait 😅, and 2. but more importantly if there was some type of emergency they can get to me faster. I actually feel better waiting in the car closer to the door. 
  • ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I agree with @Sterlion. If I am with someone then we have the right to park in handicap. Sometimes I will wait in the car and have that person run in and get whatever I need. Sometimes it is easier just to leave me in the car. If I am not in the car at all and someone takes it to go somewhere and parks in the handicap I have mixed feelings. Part of me feels like they shouldn't because they are doing what I have complained about before. People parking in the handicap who do not really need it. Then I think screw it, people are always going to abuse it so why not take advantage of the good parking. I think too many people have disabled parking. It is given out to almost anyone for anything and I HATE that people can get a temporary handicap parking when they hurt there leg and cant walk. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Moderator Posts: 77Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited July 20
    @Zcollie
    When it comes to using it when I'm not there I'm going to have to say I'm against that. Someone could need it. One thing my brother and I talk about when going to busy places where the spots are taken is having designated spots for wheelchairs. I know there are already spots like that but have them labeled with a fine for those not using a wheelchair. 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Moderator Posts: 122Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    I agree with you @Zcollie they give out handicap parking to too many people

• ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @garrisonredd Yeah it is ridiculous... 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • getHarlangetHarlan Posts: 1Member
    First Comment
    Hello. This is my first post. I never use handicapped parking spaces unless I actually need to. If I can find a regular space with ample unloading space on my side, I will leave the handicapped space for a person who needs it. I never occupy handicapped spaces for my ambulatory partners convenience! 
  • Jackmax61Jackmax61 Posts: 3Member
    First Comment
    Gosh I would not park in a disabled bay ! 
  • 619Drake619Drake Posts: 19Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    When I am driving, using my hand controls, I will park in the disabled parking spot and let my wife jump out to run into a store sometimes. She would never use my placard when I am not in the car. I also agree that we need designated parking spots for wheelchair users vs limited ambulatory users. Because I use a wheelchair, I ABSOLUTELY need a wider parking space so I can open my car door all the way to transfer into my wheelchair. I would even be willing to have wheelchair accessible parking spots away from the front of the parking lot. Once I get out of my car and I am in my wheelchair my "mobility" is quicker than the average walker and I would not mind pushing a little further through the parking lot. 
    Another problem I have had when parking is tickets for my car's wheels in the striped zone. I drive myself quite often and when I pull into a disabled parking spot with the striped barrier on my right I usually have to maneuver the car so I can open the driver's side door all the way without hitting the car in the stall next to me. Anyone else have a problem with returning to your car only to find the car next to you has parked to close and now you can't get into your car, FRUSTRATING! Twice I have been ticketed for parking with passenger side wheels in the striped area so that I would not get boxed in by the car beside me. Fortunately I got both tickets dismissed, but it was an inconvenience having to go to traffic court. 
  • BrookeUBrookeU Moderator Posts: 176Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic
    I've always wondered what others' thoughts were on this! Usually, even if my brother is in the car while I run in somewhere quickly, I try to just park in a regular spot still close to the building because that unloading space isn't needed. I have parked in accessible parking before in these situations when the closest regular spot is far away, in case of emergency (like if he called me and someone was harassing him). But I really just try to limit how often I leave him in the car because 1. I don't want him feeling left out and 2. safety reasons.
  • kkarisuma27kkarisuma27 Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments Name Dropper
    Because of my disability I have the reserved parking permit .  I usually stay in the car if my mom need to buy lot thing I go with her at the store. 
    @kkarisuma27 ;
    @BrookeU ;
    @619Drake ;
    @Zcollie ;
    @Jackmax61 ;
    @getHarlan ;
    @garrisonredd ;
    @Sterlion ;
    @nightqueen1 ;

Some good observations, thanks guys!

For example, the other day we witnessed an older man pulling up to the bank and into the accessible parking stall, he reach down and through up his dissabled pass. Soon after he got out of the car and walked right into the bank. A big part of me felt irritated that he didnt part it any of the parking spots around him but in the one accessible stall. While, I know that not all disabiity is visible, this still bothered me. What are your thoughts? Have you seen this happen before and what do you do..like you guys said, it seems as though everyone is handed an accessible parking pass these days that by the time people in chairs come along there are ZERO available spots lets. We experienced this recently also at Costco, many people part in accessible parking and walk right  in and out while those in chairs spend 30 minutes driving around the lot to try to find a spot they can squeeze into.

Thanks for reading,

Elena :)
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    @WAGSofSCI I personally feel that if someone has an invisible disability (or one that doesn’t require unloading space) and there is a regular spot equally as close to the building...they should park in the equally as close spot without the unloading space. It almost seems like a slap in the face from some people in the disability community to others in the disability community, which is very bizarre to me. At the end of the day, I can’t really say anything to people who have the right tags/placards. I’ve said it before, but I just wish there were different kinds of accessible spaces: ones with unloading zones and ones that are simply close to the building.

@BrookeU

Great points and I have to agree with you 100%. What would be great as you mentioned, is if they could create a different color place card and space for those who use wheelchairs as apposed to those who can walk right in and may have a different severity to their ability. Love the thought!
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
    I know it would be an uphill battle to convince people that it's a worthwhile infrastructural change, but man, wouldn't it be great?!
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 4Member
    First Comment
    We regularly have to park in the boondocks or circle the parking lot over and over waiting for a spot where he can drop the lift. Because we have to do that so often I can’t bring myself to use a spot unless we need it for hubby to get out. 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Moderator Posts: 122Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    I started parking behind individuals that park in the handicap spots that do not need it and I unload my wheelchair and get out. If they come back before me they just have to wait