Quadriplegic Travel in Italy

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello! I am interested to learn more about who has been to Italy as a quadriplegic? Where did you stay? How did you travel around?

My husband (c4) and I went for 3 months last fall and we stayed in an accessible apartment in a villa in Tuscany. The villa itself was not accessible, but we could get to the unit via car. We transferred him into our rented station wagon, and paid the $2200 a month price tag for it so we could see Italy by car. We had a great time, but it was very expensive. 

We are wondering what your experiences are in Italy? Did you rent a car or travel by transport? Any insight would be great 

Thank you!

Brooke - WAGS of SCI 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 35Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    Oh I have no advice to offer as far as accessibility goes there, since we've never been. But it is one of those places that I'd love tips and tricks for getting around since there's SO many stairs. Was it the car rental itself that made the trip so expensive?
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @BrittanyFrank the car rental was an unexpected expense for sure. We didn’t book ahead for it because we weren’t sure of which car would work best for transferring that they had. We had to peruse the lot when we got there and found one that worked. It turned out that even if you book ahead, it doesn’t cover accident insurance if someone ELSE hits you or damages the car, and it doesn’t cover things like navigation (which you NEED in Italy). So when all was said and done, it was a massive monthly expense. However- we learned that September and any “high season” month for car rentals was almost triple the cost of what it was mid October and November. The first month was crazy, but the next 2 months were doable. Also, it’s important to note that standard transmission is less expensive than automatic. Most cars there are manual shifting, so we rented that as I know how to drive a manual car. If we had chosen automatic, it would have been $400 more per month which is crazy. That all being said, the first time we visited Italy in my husbands power chair- the cost to rent one van to drive us from place to place was between $250 to $700 PER TRIP.  It was CRAZY. so we knew we couldn’t go back there with his power chair. 
    - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)