In and Out Chath's VS. Leg Bag

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hey everyone,

We have had some interesting experiences with the Botox as sometimes he feels like he has to void but cannot, and other times he (especially when the Botox begins to weaken or run out) he feels as though he cannot control his bladder. This can be SUPER duper frustrating for him as he feels that he has the lack or control over his body and for myself, as I am the one to drop what I'm doing immediately to run and try to hep him.  

Okay so my partner has recently began his Botox journey (for his bladder) and I guess I'm just wondering how many of your have this? How many prefer a leg bag and why? And how many have an in-dwelling and why?

Elena
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 195Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I have been using a condom catheter pretty much since my accident. I was inter-mitten cathed early on in my injury but stopped once my bladder started releasing urine on its own. I have really good sensation down there and I know when I have to pee, when it is coming out, and when I am done. I am very grateful for the feeling I have and that I can pee on my own. However, my private area is extra sensitive. I don't know why. If something hits it or it gets sprayed directly in the shower it will send my body into a full spasm. I don't inter-mitten cath because my body can pee on its own and I have feeling down there. My bladder would clench shut if I tried cathing because it so sensitive. When I pee normally I have to stop what I am doing and focus on it to make sure everything is out. The CONS of a leg bag is that it shows, but I put a bandana over mine. My leg bag does affect my workouts. It gets in the way sometimes. I know their are thigh bags I can use instead of a leg one. I would say the biggest negative is having your penis stuck in a condom all day everyday. I feel so bad for him sometimes because I wish I could air him out. At night before I go to bed. I will take it off and let my penis air out before I put a new one on and go to bed. Also, it really sucks when you get a random boner because they are not made for that and it really hurt haha. But I would hands down choose a leg bag with condom catheter over putting a tube down my penis every-time I had to pee. I know some people don't have a choice, but I am grateful for my situation. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie
    Once again I swear you and my husband have the exact same bladders HAHA Bladder twinning! My husband and I both feel the same way with bladder gratitude.. he has pretty much the same situation as you - he caths 2-4 times per day depending on if he needs to for workouts etc. My husband feels better (more confident he's not peeing himself) when he's wearing his condom catheter- it allows him independence, less accidents, and he's grateful he Is able to pee and empty his bladder on his own to avoid potential kidney side effects. He always says that too - he feels bad for his "guy" being in a condom all the time but would much rather have that than constantly having to Cath around your bladder and drinking schedule. Its also a blessing that neither of us needs to wake up in the night to Cath like a lot of others have to.  His bladder and kidneys are always so healthy when he visits the Urologist, and the doc says that because he caths to clean it out fully, he never gets infections. He is grateful that he doesnt have to Cath too as that increases the chances for infections and he cant do it on his own, so again, it helps having that independence. Recently when I leave him alone on his longer workdays I put an extra large latex leg bag on him so he can stay alone longer. Works for him and I!

I am glad theres another C4 guy out there with bladder gratitude!!! Would love to meet you one day

-Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie
    I really want to know how many people use in dwelling catheters and how they like them? We know a couple who was sent home from rehab (C4) with an in dwelling Cath and never gave him the chance to see what his bladder did on its own after without the catheter in him at all times. Wondering why they would do that? They had to take it out on their own (his GF is a nurse) and start seeing what his bladder did without it in. Turns out, he pees on his own and could start using a condom catheter.- Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)