Assistive Devices for wheeling

BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
Hey y'all. I use a manual chair, but am looking into some of those assisted devices and am wondering what kind of products y'all have had the best success with. I just need a little help through the grass, gravel or woodchip trails especially when I'm chasing or carrying my toddler. I've looked into the SmartDrive, FreeWheel, GRIT Freedom Chair and more. Any favorites or particular experiences with one of the products?

Comments

• DK's_girlDK's_girl Posts: 4Member
    First Comment
    I have a Max Mobility Smart Drive, it’s now in the shop as the battery is shot and I’ve never had the chance to use it. I’ll let you know when I get it back.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @BrittanyFrank
    What level injury are you? My husband is a C4 and can use a manual chair on flat smooth surfaces independently. We rented a smart drive for 3 months (twice lol - the older and newer model) to see how it was for him, and while he could turn it off and on, and propel with it, he wasn't strong enough to keep it "straight" without wheeling off the sidewalk. He tried and tried, and it just didnt happen. It was however very powerful, and anyone with better upper body strength would love it. We know a lot of wheelchair users who use them successfully. Good luck - Brooke
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
    @WAGSofSCI I'm a t12 so I have great upper body strength, but other terrain can get tricky. I saw a fellow in a NYC hotel run into a wall and break part of his chair, so I'm not sure if he was less experienced or if it's that difficult to use. But the Max Mobility Smart Drive is definitely one I'm considering. Has anyone had any luck with the Freewheel?
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    @BrittanyFrank I have a smart drive from when I first got hurt, but honestly have never really used it. I never could get down the motions with the bluetooth connected to the device. If I leave the house, usually I don't have a problem pushing, but I have been meaning to get used to the smart drive because I have heard tons of good things about them.
  • BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
    @trevorsendeavor thanks for that honest input. I wonder how much I'd use it and hear and have seen different stories.