Assistive Devices for wheeling — Reeve Connect
Reeve Connect will be shut down on October 31, 2021, while we reimagine and refresh our community forum. Thank you for making Reeve Connect a place where all people living with paralysis come to share their stories, tips, and engage in lively discussions. Stay connected with Reeve as we explore new community platforms and bring you an updated site that will be easier to navigate and accessible for all people living with paralysis. You can follow the Reeve Foundation on social media and sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news on our initiatives and programs.

Read more

Assistive Devices for wheeling

BrittanyFrank
BrittanyFrank Moderator Posts: 65 Moderator
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
Hey y'all. I use a manual chair, but am looking into some of those assisted devices and am wondering what kind of products y'all have had the best success with. I just need a little help through the grass, gravel or woodchip trails especially when I'm chasing or carrying my toddler. I've looked into the SmartDrive, FreeWheel, GRIT Freedom Chair and more. Any favorites or particular experiences with one of the products?

Comments

• DK's_girl
    DK's_girl Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    I have a Max Mobility Smart Drive, it’s now in the shop as the battery is shot and I’ve never had the chance to use it. I’ll let you know when I get it back.
  • WAGSofSCI
    WAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 379 Moderator
    100 Awesomes 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary
    @BrittanyFrank
    What level injury are you? My husband is a C4 and can use a manual chair on flat smooth surfaces independently. We rented a smart drive for 3 months (twice lol - the older and newer model) to see how it was for him, and while he could turn it off and on, and propel with it, he wasn't strong enough to keep it "straight" without wheeling off the sidewalk. He tried and tried, and it just didnt happen. It was however very powerful, and anyone with better upper body strength would love it. We know a lot of wheelchair users who use them successfully. Good luck - Brooke
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • BrittanyFrank
    @WAGSofSCI I'm a t12 so I have great upper body strength, but other terrain can get tricky. I saw a fellow in a NYC hotel run into a wall and break part of his chair, so I'm not sure if he was less experienced or if it's that difficult to use. But the Max Mobility Smart Drive is definitely one I'm considering. Has anyone had any luck with the Freewheel?
  • trevorsendeavor
    trevorsendeavor Moderator Posts: 38 Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    @BrittanyFrank I have a smart drive from when I first got hurt, but honestly have never really used it. I never could get down the motions with the bluetooth connected to the device. If I leave the house, usually I don't have a problem pushing, but I have been meaning to get used to the smart drive because I have heard tons of good things about them.
  • BrittanyFrank
    @trevorsendeavor thanks for that honest input. I wonder how much I'd use it and hear and have seen different stories.
  • kimted1
    kimted1 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    My name is Jacqueline Kim Makins and I have been living with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis for 2 years but was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting MS in 2001. I am confined to my power chair and my husband Teddy and I have always tried to make my life better.

What we have done is invent a patented Independent Shopping Basket that attaches to my power wheelchair so that when I go  shopping in this era of COVID-19, I can be safe and able to shop independently. I think that this invention not only helps me, but would be of assistance to disabled people like me in the Pride Jazzy series, Quantum series, and Trident series power chairs..

• adkdan
    adkdan Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited August 27
    I'm late to the game here, I just found your comment doing a search on the combination of Freewheel and SmartDrive. I hope by now you've figured out how to tackle your terrain, but in case... I live on gravel driveway and roads, and I use the Free Wheel all the time for navigating that type of terrain. It helps immensely. Works well in grass also. That bigger wheel rolls over things that the casters could never navigate. The SmartDrive is more for me of a specialty product when I go out on trails that have hills. Trying to do more of that. Find it is helpful , but imperfect . Others have spoken to the problems with the Bluetooth control, so I will just add that it does spin in gravel, but it can still help propel you forward even while spinning so it's better than nothing.  
  • stephanie426
    stephanie426 Moderator Posts: 81 Moderator
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    I just ran a camp for girls and women with disabilities in the Adirondacks last month. Two of the women brought their FreeWheels and told me it made a HUGE difference for them around the camp. Our camp had dirt/gravel roads and the Freewheel made traversing these different surfaces so much easier. 
  • adkdan
    adkdan Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Stephanie426 - Where in the Adirondacks? What's the name? Is there a men's equivalent?  I grew up in the Adirondacks, and spent my first 26 years at a summer camp, and a few more since then. But not since my SCI, of course. Now you've got me curious...
  • kimmel
    kimmel Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited September 28
    The dedicated full-stack development team https://mlsdev.com/services/custom-software-development offers you various services like web app development, web custom development, web site development, and web application development. The web software development company works closely with the clients and their team of web app developers. The dedicated web software development team provides quality and innovative web software development solutions for global and local businesses. The services are provided through flexible web application development cycles including pre-start, post-start and constant integration development.