Acupuncture for SCI

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer

Hello Guys

Has anyone out there (or their partner) tried Acupuncture regularly for their SCI? My husband has electro-acupuncture twice per week and finds that it relaxes him and has helped him to regain some sensation in his legs. Acupuncture is something that is cumulative - so it helps to maintain the flow of energy to the legs and body parts. Electro-acupuncture helps to stimulate nerve responses and connect the mind to the body.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with Acupuncture they would like to share or what has worked for them in these appointments? 

- Brooke 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 35Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    I did acupuncture with electrodes hooked up to them as well. During that time, I didn't see any difference in pain or function. So I stopped the sessions after a couple of months. I felt like I'd given it a fair try and personally don't love needles so if it wasn't helping, I didn't want to continue. 
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 173Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I did acupuncture/electro-acupuncture every week when my accident first happened. It is hard for me to think back and remember what it did for me. I have also tried just acupuncture a few times and noticed it did relax my mind and body, but it wasn’t enough to make a huge difference for me. I would do it more if it was free but not worth the money in my opinion. Bree (my fiancé) does acupuncture a lot currently and loves it! She says it helps her both mentally and physically. I am all for it and it is such a old medicine that has worked for so many people. I just do not notice a huge difference in my own body after. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • allygrizzardallygrizzard Posts: 6Moderator Moderator
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I've always been curious about what acupuncture would do for me, but I've never worked up the nerve to try it because I'm not a fan of needles lol. I'm a T-12. Has anyone around the same level as me tried it or do you know someone around the same level that has tried it? If so, what did it do for you or them? 
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 264Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @allygrizzard
    My husband likes the feeling of it especially when the needles are hooked up to electrodes because he says he can feel things he hasn't felt before.. its pretty cool! - B
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • allygrizzardallygrizzard Posts: 6Moderator Moderator
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @WAGSofSCI that's awesome! I'll have to try it!