****Registering with the Fire Department can save your life****

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
edited August 1 in Life Hacks
Hey Guys & Gals,

Recently I can across some new information that I had never heard of previously. My boyfriend and I have been having more frequent conversation around what to do in case of fire or a natural disaster, and while many of you have experienced this reality already, we have not and in all seriousness it scares us. 

So, we posted about this on our Private Wags of SCI Group and had a heap on messages telling us that we could/ should register our household as a vulnerable family so give them a heads up when a fire does occur. Once you are registered, the fire department will know which unit you live in if you reside in an apartment- and run in to save your partner in his chair first. This is particularly helpful if he/she  is trapped in their bed.

Another tip we received was to leave your partner in the home and run out to inform the firemen that your partner is in deed in the house and needs help. 

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever had to use these methods before? 

Thanks so much

Elena
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• DarlaDarla Posts: 5Member
    First Comment
    I've thought about if something were to happen where my son is staying, who would help him? I think contacting the firemen and letting them know about my son. He has been bed ridden for a little over a year and a half and I worry about him all the time. Thank you for the thought. Good bless
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 176Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic
    I've heard about this, but I need to remind my brother since he just moved to a new apartment and is living alone for the first time ever! Thanks for the reminder!
  • DarlaDarla Posts: 5Member
    First Comment
    My son is 31 yrs old. He is paraplegic at a T3 level. His Harrington rod broke in his back and nothing had been done to fix it, so after a while, with the rod scraping against his spine,  his spine broke. This happened February 2018, and to this day, he has been bedridden. YES, I called the fire department for sure! He has gone through enough hell! Thank you for the great suggestion! It can save a life!