Quads: How many hours a day do you spend in your wheelchair?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI ModeratorPosts: 301Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello Everyone

We recently had a visit with my husbands Occupational Therapist where he expressed how important it is to change seating positions and transfer to various seating surfaces often. He used the example of moving from your bed, to your chair, to a recliner, to a standing frame, workout table etc throughout the day in order to minimize your chances at sustaining a pressure sore in the future. He also recommended a power chair with standing ability as a way to move your position more often.

My husband is a C4 quadriplegic and uses both a manual and power chair. He does the majority of his workouts in his manual chair, and uses his power to get around efficiently. He has a zero gravity recliner that he loves for relaxing and watching TV or movies in at night. He does not like sitting in any of his chairs when he wants to relax or is at home in his leisure time.

I am interested to know how many hours a day you stay in your one chair? Or how often you change seating positions etc. For the caregivers out there, how many of you change your partner or the person you are caring for's seating position? 

Thanks

- Brooke (WAGS of SCI)
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• ambercollieambercollie Moderator Posts: 71Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI what is the zero gravity chair? Do you do all the transfers throughout the day?
    My son gets up in AM and is basically in his chair until he goes to bed, he can recline back and does some therapy in his chair, other therapy he is transferred to workout table. I know he sits on the couch occasionally.
    The powerchair with standing ability is a goal!
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    @ambercollie the zero gravity chair is a recliner that provides a full 100% weight shift - just like power chairs can do in recline. It’s power operated so he can recline himself while in it. I love to talk about these because they were so life changing for my husband. Now we can both sit comfortably in the living room together. We have one from relax and back - it’s called the Luna Recliner. It’s memory foam and the Hoyer lift fits right around the base of it for an easier transfer. I myself and his physios do his transfers! Here’s a link to some of the zero gravity recliners:

https://stores.relaxtheback.com/victoria/massage-recliners
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ambercollieambercollie Moderator Posts: 71Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI l looked up the chairs pretty cool! (Expensive but Cool)
  • SterlionSterlion Moderator Posts: 77Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    edited August 10
    @WAGSofSCI
    I actually never thought about how much time I spend in my chair. I probably spend an average of 12-14 hours a day. Since I drive in my chair that stops me from changing seats. Some days I workout and get out of my chair for around an hour. Now that you mention this I feel that I should get out of it more. I thought as long as you weight shift every so often pressure sores aren't an issue.
  • Mnichols23Mnichols23 Moderator Posts: 42Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI I usually sit in my chair for an average of 10-12 hours a day.  I very rarely get out of my chair other than when it’s time for bed.  I’m the most comfortable when I’m sitting in my wheelchair. That includes when I tilt back and relax
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Moderator Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    I would say I spend about 8 hours a day in the chair. I am always looking for ways out of it! whether I'm driving or just transferring to the couch, chair, etc. My chair is comfortable but it gets old sitting in the same exact spot all the time.
  • ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I am in my wheelchair 10-12 a day and I usually stay in my chair the whole time. I don’t mind getting out of my chair. It feels so nice to get on the couch or stretch out on my bed for an hour during the day. I just hate repositioning myself and making sure my shirt and shorts are comfortable. Whenever I transfer anywhere I have to have some fix my clothes for me. Because it is a hassle for me and I don’t like to always fix my clothes and positioning I will stay in my chair all day. I know I should get out of my chair more often than I do. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    @ambercollie you can find ones for $2500 that are power. If you think about the longevity of it and how you will have it for a LONG time, and how much it helps with relaxation, I think its worth it. Plus, we have learned that most insurance companies will cover this as a medical necessity - you just need doctors/physiatrist notes to advocate about the benefits (pressure relief and preventing sores, more freedom to relax, blood pressure regulation) etc. - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)