Going on a Cruise with an SCI

ZcollieZcollie Posts: 173Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
This past week I went on a cruise for the 2nd time in a wheelchair. I was asked by the @WAGSofSCI to post a review about my experience and how the ADA accessibility was on the boat. 

Overall, the experience and accessibility was great! The cruise was easy to book and all I had to do was request a ADA room with a roll in shower. When I got on the boat it was HUGE. Plenty of room to roll around in a wheelchair. However, I did not bring my big power chair. I brought my manual chair with an attachable motor called “ZX-1” made by Spinergy. I brought my smaller one because I knew it would make it easier to get around and one of the stops we had to take a smaller boat to one of ur destinations. I had to roll down a steep and small ramp that I don’t think a big power chair could have done. I did have to fill out a disability form about my wheelchair and measure the height, length, width, and weight of it. The room I was in did have a widened doorway so I could get in. I did see one other person in a wheelchair on the boat and they were in a bigger power chair than me so I know it is possible to bring one on a cruise. The cruise line I used was Carnival. In my opinion, the only real let down was the size of our room. It was pretty small and I would block the only pathway to get around. If someone wanted to use the bathroom I would have to either back up all the way to our front door so they could get by or they would have to climb over me. We had three people total in the room. Good thing about cruises is that 90% of the time you are not in your room. You only go in there to get ready and sleep. The roll in shower in our room was great! It was bigger than I expected it to be and my shower program was easy to do in the bathroom we had. That was really nice to have. I would rate my experience a 8/10. The dining areas, pool deck, and entertainment theaters were all accessible. I would definitely go on a cruse again. 

If any of you have other questions I did not answer feel free to ask them below. 
Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 35Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    I've never been on a cruise, but the idea has always sounded good to me. That there's accessible travel without having to worry about car transfers etc. But I wondered about rooms because I've heard they are tiny & pack them in. Did they charge more for an ADA room?
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 173Moderator Moderator
    @BrittanyFrank As far as I know they did not charge more for an ADA room. Cruises are not to expensive and all inclusive. That is why they are so nice. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Thanks for sharing! A friend of mine was telling me about his recent cruise. He told me everything was accessible but wasn't sure to take his word for it since he's not exactly in a wheelchair. I definitely want to plan to take one now.
  • Mnichols23Mnichols23 Posts: 42Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer Name Dropper
    @Sterlion I went on a cruise about three years ago. It was an amazing experience! As a quad I’m always worried about accessibility but nearly the entire boat was accessible. The only thing that was a little tough was that the hallway is a bit tight but other than that it was a great experience 
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Mnichols23 that’s great to here! Look forward to it in the near future!
  • allygrizzardallygrizzard Posts: 6Moderator Moderator
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    I went on a Carnival cruise last October and everything was accessible for me as well. I didn't have the same problems in my room as far as not having enough room, but my husband and I were in an accessible king suite. I'm not sure what type of room you had, but it's good to know that all of the accessible rooms don't offer the same amount of rolling room so I will definitely keep that in mind if we ever choose to go on another one! I just wanted to add for the ones who haven't been on one, that it IS possible to go on a cruise and have a room that is plenty big to roll around in so you don't have to worry about getting around in the room the whole time you're on board. I even had an accessible balcony and had plenty of room to roll around and turn around and everything on the balcony too! And remember, if you don't see any accessible rooms when booking online, call them and they will give you one! :)
  • Sher38Sher38 Posts: 5Member
    First Comment
    You say roll-in shower, did you use a roll-in shower chair or a transfer tub bench for showering? And did you bring your own or do they provide one? And if you used a transfer bench was it  wide enough for you to shower independently or did you need help? I'm wondering about the size of the shower chair.

I've never been, but my wife wants to go. So, I'm thinking about taking the plunge. I've never been a fan of being out on a boat in the open water, but you guys had fun - so maybe for her.
  • Mnichols23Mnichols23 Posts: 42Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer Name Dropper
    @Sher38 I had a roll in shower! It was a good size. There was enough room for me and my mom who was helping shower me. I brought my own shower chair. I believe there was a bench in there but I didn’t use it .
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 169Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Thanks for sharing this!! Good to know.
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 173Moderator Moderator
    @Sher38 I had an actual roll in shower and I brought my own commode chair. They did not provide one for me but the roll in shower was great and had plenty of room. 

@BrookeU Welcome!(: