Sharing a book — Reeve Connect
Reeve Connect will be shut down on October 31, 2021, while we reimagine and refresh our community forum. Thank you for making Reeve Connect a place where all people living with paralysis come to share their stories, tips, and engage in lively discussions. Stay connected with Reeve as we explore new community platforms and bring you an updated site that will be easier to navigate and accessible for all people living with paralysis. You can follow the Reeve Foundation on social media and sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news on our initiatives and programs.

Read more

Sharing a book

Delphi
Delphi Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic

Hello from the desert Southwest in the anxious and divided US of A probably not so different then the state of the United Kingdom. I have just joined your group. At 70 I fell from a porch, fractured my neck and became an incomplete SCI. I was a quadriplegic for a year and some months and battled my way to standing, using a walker, mothballing my fleet of equipment and flying solo without a catheter. This new freedom is welcome but it comes with what doesn't change the body that feels like a videogame of spasms, random nerve ambushes, unreliable balance, continuing rehab, and the traveling medicine chest. I was Dean of a school of arts at a university when this happened. I taught dramatic writing so I turned to writing to help me navigate my emotional wreckage that came with the loss of my body and inform the rebuilding of what I was to become, that person post-accident. I've written a book about this experience, Take It Lying down: Finding Your Feet after a Spinal Cord Injury. You are a community that would understand the journey described. I hope you won't judge me a craven horn tooter by offering this up for your consideration.

Comments