Abdominal Binders

trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor ModeratorPosts: 38Moderator Moderator
10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
I'm not sure who all out there wears abdominal binders, but I have found that wearing one really helps with my posture and blood pressure at times. I function mostly as a para, but have some BP and breathing issues like a quad from time to time so I have worn one since I was first in the hospital. Through the last couple of years I have bought and tried a couple different brands but always seem to go back to the original that I got when I was in rehab. It seems like the ones I find online always roll up on my or aren't very comfortable. But now the original one I have is literally falling apart.

Has anyone had luck with decent abdominal binders that give good support and comfort? I keep browsing Amazon and other sites and am curious to see what others out there prefer.

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I have tried many different back braces to help with my posture and lower back discomfort. I found this one and absolutely love it! It is not expensive, sturdy, and lasts a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Lumbar-Support-Removable-Regular/dp/B00267SFKC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=V3T9HVAIYB17&keywords=back%2Bbrace&qid=1566334425&s=gateway&sprefix=Back%2Bb%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-5&th=1
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @Zcollie  my husband loves his ab binder - he says he uses it as a corset  :D  to help him with his quad belly LOL. In all seriousness though, he likes them because it too helps him with posture and balance, and it makes him feel secure in his clothing. We found one that he really liked that was purchased for him by his physiotherapy clinic, but the velcro wore out quickly and now he doesnt wear it because it doesnt stay on.

We have looked on amazon and bought 2 from there, but had to return them both because they are not "Wide" enough horizontally to cover his torso. One of the ones we bought was only 6 inches wide! They also run longer too, almost like they aren't designed for quad torsos but more able bodied people wholly need lower stomach support. 

If anyone has any suggestions on where to buy thicker, wider and shorter ones we are all ears! - Brooke
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI Yeah haha. I love how is helps with my belly too. It helps me with all of those things as well(: I like the one I have because it supports my lower back really good. Some days my lower back gets really sore from sitting too long. It can be hard finding one that fits perfectly to your body. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Moderator Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    @Zcollie @WAGSofSCI I might have to give that one a try. I never thought to search under back braces but I’m sure it’s basically the same thing! I am running into similar problems that Brooke posted about as well with them being too narrow and not converting my torso, and the Velcro always goes first.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @trevorsendeavor yes the velcro is always so crappy! Someone needs to design a flexible body suit for a quad - sort of like one of those weighted vests but with binding capabilities that any quad can wear under their shirt! - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)