Have you found a good GP/Family Doctor post SCI?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello! When my husband was first injured, we found his family doctor had no clue about SCI. He wasn't helpful so we went on the search for a new one who had at least some experience dealing with an SCI patient. It was so hard and it took us almost 2 years to find one who had one other patient with a spinal cord injury.

From talking to others, we see its a common thing - that family doctors have no clue about SCI most of the time - and finding one that is suitable is very hard to come by. You waste a lot of time going to your GP just to get referrals to others since they cannot help or are worried they're doing the wrong thing for you. 

What I want to know is: have YOU found a GP/Family Doctor that knows about your condition? Would love to hear about your experiences and where you get your care after hospital. 

Thanks!

- Brooke 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 53Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    I have been very fortunate to find an incredible Family Doctor early on after returning from the hospital. Although he didn't have much experience with SCI he was willing to take the time to research & became professionally & personally informed. It was also much easier to get all the documentation signed for the various medical equipment that insurance requires doctor signatures on. It made the process a little easier having a good relationship with a primary care doctor. 
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Since coming home and adjusting to life outside of initial rehab, I haven’t found a good general doctor in my area. I’m about 3 hours from Chicago and still go back once a year because there i still haven’t found anyone in my area who specializes in SCI or the symptoms. I’ve kept in contact with my GP that I’ve been going to since before I got injured, but I basically just tell him what medications I need refilled and when I ask for advice or recommendations, he really doesn’t know. So I’m sure this is common just because of the lack of knowledge on SCIs unless the person in the medical field has specifically studied them or has had a lot of experience with other spinal cord injuries. 

Luckily, I have a very good urologist which allows me to get a good handle and bowel and bladder health and getting to UTIs soon, but when it comes to a general care doctor, I wish I could find one also! Seems like this is more common then it should be.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @trevorsendeavor
    who do you get to sign your insurance/medical notes and prescriptions? Your urologist? - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • LTankLTank Posts: 1Member
    First Comment
    When I was married and covered under his insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield I could get the resources. I was living in the Houston area and had a dr that understood my T-8 injury in 2010 . Now, I have Medicaid and my husband has left, he could not handle the responsablities I had to have. I live in the Tyler, TX area now and have not found a Dr that I can turn to. Does anyone know of any drs in this area?