Falling Asleep While Cathing At Night

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI ModeratorPosts: 301Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hey folks,

Chances are you ended up clicking on this post because the title either sounds confusing or funny. 

But yes, you read that correctly. Let's say that I know someone who cath's all throughout the night; at least 4 times a night. Lately, I've found myself doing an extra bit of laundry and being the investigator that I am...I did the sniff test. Of course I asked him what's up and he said he's been so sleepy that he falls asleep in the midst of doing this procedure. 

Doing the laundry isn't the part that is worrying me. I'm more concerned that a) he isn't getting a proper sleep and b) that he's so tired while doing this. Dan has a C6, incomplete injury and has made HUGE strides to a) cath himself and b) get off using the leg bag, so unfortunately going back to using a night bag isn't really an option for him and I completely respect that. 

Anyone else experience anything similar? What do you do? 

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Elena
WAGS of SCI

Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I can't relate to cathing because I use a condom catheter and night bag. There are two things I wanted to mention. 1. I have a friend who is also a quad who caths himself. He does take a certain medication that helps his bladder retain the urine, but he has been taking CBD on a daily basis and says he's has been able to go all night without cathing. 2. I personally have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep throughout the entire night. I started taking these pills called "Sleep Aid" and I have been sleeping pretty much through the whole night. These pills only have one ingredient "Doxylamine Succinate" which is a Antihistamine. I take 2 pills 30 minutes before I go to bed. They are 25mg each, I take 50mg total. Hope this helps.  
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Moderator Posts: 77Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I was going to recommend using a condom cath for at night, that should prevent the wet sheets. If that's not an option I would say have him cut off his drinking in the evening so he wouldn't have to cath as  much. If I know I'm going to bed at 10 I don't drink past 7. That should cut cathing to one or two at the most.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie ;

We used to have that entire system and such peaceful sleeps unless the condom cath blew off, lol! It has been an interesting transition for us but we are slowly getting used to it. Do you find that you get thirsty in the middle of the night if you cut your water intake off so early? 

@Sterlion
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • SterlionSterlion Moderator Posts: 77Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI sometimes, depending on how much I hydrate throughout the day. If I wake up thirsty I do drink. Just not to much so I don’t keep waking up to cath 
  • ZcollieZcollie Moderator Posts: 186Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI I have never had the issue of blowing off my condom caths. I actually use a smaller size condom at night because of shrinkage and it stays on tighter. My insurance only pays for one size so I pay out of the pocket for the other size. It does work well for me. As far as drinking water I get really thirsty at night. I often wake up in the middle of the night with my throat very dry. But because of my night bag I can drink as much water as I want. I will either keep a camel pack of water next to me or a hydro flask next to me at night so I can drink water whenever I want. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 301Moderator Moderator
    @Zcollie never thought of getting a smaller size for night time - good tip!
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • BrookeUBrookeU Moderator Posts: 176Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic
    These tips are great! I'll be passing them on to my brother, who's been struggling with waking up to cath lately.