Those People Who Gave You REAL Help When You Were First Injured

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello Everyone! Brooke here  <3

I wanted to give some recognition and initiate some story telling about the help that you received from people (relatives or friends) after Spinal Cord Injury - those who ACTUALLY helped you.. in ways that actually made a difference in a real way...

We all talk on WAGS about the "sympathy casseroles" we all receive after our partners sustained their SCI's. People who want to help by bringing food, but its not actually what you need. Its definitely thoughtful don't get me wrong - it is their way of contributing. But after a while of receiving these casseroles you start to think that it is their way of helping to help themselves feel better rather than actually help you. People have trouble knowing what they CAN do after an injury effects someone they know or love, and we have trouble expressing what we need as sometimes when a trauma is happening, we don't actually KNOW ourselves what would help.  I remember when my partner was first injured my mom came and stayed with me so I wouldn't be alone. She spent over an hour every morning driving to work as I live so far from her, and then at the end of the day drove back to the hospital to spend the whole night helping my boyfriend and I. She would do my laundry, cook, rub my back - and even slept in my bed so I wouldn't be so alone. She did this all without being invasive or needy. She listened. Ill never be able to repay her for all the kindness she has shown us over the years. It chokes me up thinking about it now!

I thought we would start a thread about the stories and people who gave you assistance when you didn't even know what you needed. The people who paid attention to what was happening and used their empathy and compassion to contribute in a meaningful way. Please share below!

- WAGS of SCI 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    The best ways people helped after my accident was by showing up. Either physically in person or through mail. My teammates mailed pictures and pajamas that I used in my hospital room. Other friends flew out to spend a few days with me in therapy and others showed up with food. I always say some of the best gifts you can give in the hospital is your time, pajamas and/or food. 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 130Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    I really appreciated my former teammates, they kept me updated on how the season was going and what was going on in school. 
  • LoveTeenLoveTeen Posts: 2Member
    Photogenic First Comment
    My mom suffered a C4 SCI nearly 6 months ago. Moms sisters, cousin, and my brother stepped in to help me in ways I didn’t know I needed. Being a registered nurse, I thought I could handle moms care without having to interrupt the lives of those around me. Our cousin, an RN volunteered to spend nights at the hospital to give my brother and me a break. She also went to the therapy gym when mom was in rehab. My aunt, also an RN, would show up at the hospital with food in hand and send me home to rest. These family members are true heroes and I can never repay them for all they’ve done for me and my mom.