Sleep, spasms & SCI

BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
Night time is typically the most relaxing part of the day for individuals a time to relax and wind down from the day. But with intense spasms & clonus sleep is a major stressor. I've found a foot vibration plate will fatigue my spasms a little bit, but it's still difficult to relax my body and brain. Right now, I rely on valium to help relax my muscles and help me fall asleep, but wondered if there are any medications or other tips and tricks out there. Please share any experiences, other medications, tips and tricks out there. Each injury is very individual but just hearing others stories and solutions can be a help to one another. 

Comments

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @BrittanyFrank - Hi Brittany - its Brooke here  <3

My husband who is a C4 Quad struggled to sleep for over 4 years. He would never be able to fall into a deep sleep, and was constantly woken up by spasms. He would smoke some of his vaporizer before bed and that would help for a couple of hours but it would never last the whole night. He tried waking up in the night to smoke it again but then ended up being more groggy in the morning and didn't like that feeling. He also tried (and still occasionally uses) THC weed cookies and they help, but again, not through the whole night. He finds that he gets used to marijuana very quickly, as his tolerance is so high now (he uses it for spasm control and relaxation during the day too).

He began to accept that he would never sleep well ever again until..

A year or so ago my mom purchased a product for us that had just came out called "U-Dream" that a couple of her patients were raving about. She was skeptical as its all natural and we had tried melatonin and other natural sleep aids that did not work at all.

We tried the U Dream "Lite" and Regular versions and both knock him out for pretty much the whole night now. He's had great sleeps for over a year now and hasn't looked back. The great thing about these pills is that there is something in the formula that relaxes the body as well... we aren't sure that it is but whatever the mix is, it keeps him spasm free as well as puts him right to sleep.

I can't tell you enough how much of a miracle it has been for us. It was very hard to get a few months ago but now its available online through various websites.. just search on google "U-Dream buy online" and it will come up as I am not sure If its available through retail stores in the USA yet.

Good luck and I hope you can try these!! If you do let me know what you think. My husband says all SCI patients should use this all the time LOL

- Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 210Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @BrittanyFrank Hi Britany, I am a C4 quad and have intense body spasms that I deal with all the time. I have struggled in the past at night time sleeping fully through the night without being woken up because of my spasms. It takes hours for my mind to fall asleep when I get into bed. I rarely would sleep through the whole night. I use tie downs to hold my legs down at night so they cannot kick up. Cannabis is also something that really helps with my spasms and sleeping at night, however, as Brooke mentioned it wears off after a few hours. I have been taking this medication at night that is called "Sleep Aid" it has one natural ingredient and I get mine at a Costco near me. To my surprise it has really worked and I take it every night before I go to bed. Hope this helps and good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Nighttime-Doxylamine-Succinate/dp/B005C4ZVQW/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=sleep+aid&qid=1569871922&sr=8-19

Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    @Zcollie & @WAGSofSCI Thanks for the great resources and I like the more natural options and you gotta love an Amazon link! I'll look into both of these.