Warm, Accessible U.S. Holiday Destinations

BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 176Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic
My family is looking to travel somewhere warm (I personally would like to go somewhere cold, but I've been outnumbered) in the U.S. for the holidays this year. None of us like to sit still and prefer to always be on the go, love museums of all kinds, good food, live music, and interesting architecture.  My brother uses a manual wheelchair. Does anyone have recommendations? We've been thinking about Austin/San Antonio or Southern California, but I'd love to hear your suggestions! Bonus points if you have recs for accessible attractions and hotels/Airbnbs :)

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    Oh yes anywhere to get away from the cold. Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Hawaii has a path along the beach and great accessibility.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @BrookeU - we lived in San Diego (North San Diego County) for 5 months when my partner was going to rehab at Adapt in Carlsbad. Everything is SO accessible including their various beaches and promenades. The good thing about that area is you can stay outside of the city in Carlsbad, Vista, Encinitas (a cute surf town right by the beach and sooo pretty), and if you have a car, can go to dinners and explore the entire area. Some of the restaurants in San Diego are our favourite anywhere - Juniper and Ivy is my all time favourite place out of anywhere we have been. Explore Del Mar and maybe go to a race or two (the track there is world famous) depending on what time of year you're going; head to Stone Brewing Garden just outside of the city for an afternoon of tasty beers in an old army barrack site; visit Encinitas and have drinks and food along their main road - visit one of their various taco places but Fish 101 is the best in my opinion); go to Legoland if you like that sort of thing; visit the maritime and army museum on the San Diego boardwalk to see planes and ships; go to Coronado island for the day and have fish and chips and explore. We have stayed in various areas there but so far Carlsbad, Encinitas and if you must stay in the downtown area, the Gaslamp quarter outskirts by the airport entrance are the best for getting around. There are a ton of accessible property rentals in the north San Diego county area but its best to have a car while you're there. So much to do!!! And ALL accessible. Good luck! - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)