Bone Density Scans

heatherkrillheatherkrill Posts: 28Moderator Moderator
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
My husband does not like going to the doctors, but once he found a doctor he liked and who has "stuck" around our region, going became much easier.   I was reading over his most recent bone density scans as he is 49 and been a para for almost 25 years.  He has crossed over from the osteopenic (not sure on spelling this right) zone to straight up osteoporosis zone.  In reading the recommendations for continued supplements, I noticed the concern for weigh bearing treatment.  It's interesting to think about finding the balance to real "weight bearing" while not being dangerous to his bones.  He is active, thankfully, because I can't imagine how his test results might be otherwise.  However, he can't actually "weight bear" on his legs safely, unless any of you out there have more information we might be able to pursue?????  His 6 foot 2 frame is mostly long legs.  Anyway, I was mostly curious about other people in his age bracket facing low bone density results...thank you! 

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 193Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    Hi @heatherkrill I am a c4 quad and have been in a chair for almost 10 years. I recently did my bone density scan and the results came back as osteopenia. I was told the same thing. The best thing for me was to try and weight bear on my legs to help my bones. I was also prescribed a medication to help stop the deterioration on my bones. You said your husband cant weight bear his legs do you guys have a standing frame? I know for me that really helps but they can be really expense if you don't have one. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 81Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I would also say standing frame. Sometimes insurance will pay for them. If not they can be found second hand or at rehab facilities.
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @heatherkrill
    Are the doctors saying that his condition is reversible with some weight bearing? Even though its not considered "safe" to? - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • heatherkrillheatherkrill Posts: 28Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Not reversible but helpful in slowing their deterioration.  But that’s what make me nervous.  If it’s supervised by me and not a professional, who is to say I might not break him accidentally while helping with a standing frame.  Thank you for your comments and caring!!