Anyone Else Out There Who Is a Quad Have Fists For Hands?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 328Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hey All - Brooke here 

My husband has tenodesis in his hands where he has quite a strong "grip" when he wants one. This has been a major blessing as it helps him to hold bottles, wine glasses, and many other things he wouldn't normally be able to. He can also grab things when he wants to with his tenodesis. 

However, the downside is they are always in "clubs".. he always looks like his hands are clenched. Sometimes when he has major spasms or is tense, his hands tighten up. even more into fists. It is fine during the day, as he can relax and open them when he needs to grab something. But, at night, he has an especially strong fist and he wakes up with his hands tightly gripped to the point where we have to spend 5 mins stretching them. 

His Occupational Therapist said one option would be to put splints on his hands to keep them open at night. But, he said there is a risk he would lose his tenodesis if this was done on a nightly basis. My husband doesnt want that, so we haven't done anything about it. The fact is, its super uncomfortable and he's willing to live with it IF there are no long term side effects of waking up with extremely tight hands. He doesnt want to get to the point where they stay in tight fists without him being able to relax them...

Anyone else out there with this issue? Anyone have any feedback or advice?

Thanks

- Brooke (WAGS of SCI)
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• SterlionSterlion Posts: 81Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I actually wore splits to keep my fingers stretched at night. It made my hands feel looser but they still somewhat clinched. I think it actually helped my tenodesis because it was easier to open my hand to get around objects. Back when I had those I wore at night and tenodisis splints I wore during the day. It was a pretty nice set up.