Holiday Parties With An SCI And Accessibility

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 331Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hello All! It's Brooke

With Christmas happening next month (omg where does the time go...), I wanted to post about the holiday season and Christmas parties - and attending them with a spinal cord injury. 

Do you find yourself attending a lot of holiday events? And if so, do you find accessibility to be an issue? 

In our city, we usually attend about one Christmas themed friends and family gathering per week in December. Most of the time these events are held at larger houses at more of a drop in style event. Unfortunately, 75% of the houses are not accessible and ramps need to be installed, or we just don't end up going. I find myself feeling bad if I have to mention the stairs, and the fact that the host will need to get a ramp or we will have to bring our own suitcase style ramp for the event. Sometimes, I would just rather not say anything and just avoid the event.

I know we say this a lot, but even the people that are close to us sometimes do not think about these small things that need to be done in order to attend a gathering. I just always do not want to be that person who brings it up and seems high maintenance, but the cold hard truth is its just not thought about! We have one friend who has 13 steps to get into their house - all downhill - and the first time we went there post SCI we had to have 3 guys on either side of the wheelchair carry my husband down the stairs. We want to go this year but we feel SO BAD asking for that help. 

Anyone out there have the same feelings?

Brooke 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)