One thing you miss doing...

ZcollieZcollie Posts: 209Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
Hi everyone.

For those of you who are injured. What is one thing you miss being able to do before your accident happened and what is one thing you have learned from it?

I am usually the type of person who is always positive and not let anything get to me. I accept the things I cannot change and don't stress about what I cant control. I personally try not to think about what I loss because I don't see the point of it. Thinking about the things I can no longer do makes me sad and I don't see the point in paying attention to those feelings. Any negative feelings I usually get I push them away before I latch onto them. The other day I allowed myself to feel those emotions and be okay feeling sad for little it. I don't see anything wrong with allowing yourself to feel any kind of emotions even the negative ones as long as you don't let them overpower your mind. 

I really really really miss the simple things... I miss being able to get myself a glass of water. I miss being able to dress myself and tie my own shoes. I miss standing up and hugging others. I miss running, which I never enjoyed doing. I miss doing my own hair. I even miss doing chores haha (not something I thought I would ever miss). The list goes on...

One of the biggest things this injury has taught me is Patience. I was the most impatient person I knew before my accident and all of my family would confirm that. I have learned to be a much more patient and compassionate person because of my SCI. I am grateful for that. 

Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI

Comments

• ambercollieambercollie Posts: 85Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Zcollie you definitely have learned Patience!!!
    This was the kid that would ask me “mom what are we doing after this??
    While we’re at DISNEYLAND!

We can always Chose to Keep Learning!
  • SterlionSterlion Posts: 84Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Zcollie
    You definitely hit on a lot of things I miss doing (dressing, running). The biggest thing I miss is the ability to go anywhere wherever and stay as long as I wanted without having to rely on others. Independence is something I would never again take for granted. 

One thing Ive learned is compassion. We don't always know what people are going through because it's not always visible. 
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 209Moderator Moderator
    @Sterlion Yeah same here. I miss having that freedom too. I took for granted a lot of things. I have learned many things because of this injury and becoming more compassionate was definitely one of them. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @Zcollie I agree with your attitude 100%... theres no point in wishing to have what once was. BUT.. I love this topic!

my husband always says the number one thing he misses is being able to rock climb. Unfortunately, this is something that is not possible after an injury like his. He misses the mountains.. he misses the fresh air that he could breath from the top of a mountain he had just climbed. It makes me so sad...

As for me, the one thing I really miss is being able to go somewhere overnight or a vacation alone. We do not have nursing, and every time I do hire someone to come and stay with him while im away, something always goes wrong and the stress I have to deal with after I come back isn't worth the trip to begin with for me. I miss that stress free feeling of leaving home and not having to worry...

Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 209Moderator Moderator
    @WAGSofSCI Yeah I am sure that is really hard for you to have to deal with being the partner of someone with an sci. I wish it was an easier process to give our able-bodied partners a break. Caregiver burnout is such a real thing and what makes things even more difficult is mixing the roles of caregiver and partner. I was just talking to Bree about that last night and it sucks. I wish I could afford a full-time caregiver and take a lot of things off Bree's plate. All you women are truly freaking amazing who take on both roles and make it work.