I Am A Professional Condom Cath "Checker" 20 times per day....There has to be a better way!

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
Hey All! 

My husband has a condom catheter from Hollister that he wears daily and nightly with a leg and night bag due to his bladder always voiding naturally. It's safe for him to do this, as he voids after about 200mls (he does Urodynamics exams yearly).

However, we ALWAYS have issues with condoms coming off or getting "loose" after a few hours of wear. 

His routine is this:
- morning catheter to empty bladder
- skin prep, let dry
- apply condom catheter properly
- hold tight to create more of a seal
- attach to his leg bag

* sometimes I will spray a thin layer of medical grade adhesive to the shaft to ensure it will stay longer but sometimes that doesnt even help...

Its been 5 years and I can say I apply it properly as the first 3 years he never had issues with it 'blowing off". NOW, it seems to blow off at least 2 times per week with an accident. Im not sure if he has a stronger stream now, or if he just has bad luck. We also find that when his skin is irritated down there it gets loose faster. We have tried 5 different kinds of condom catheters and found one that fits the best, and most of the time its ok.. but it has created a paranoia from him to ask me to check it ALL DAY long.

He's always thinking about whether his condom is on and ok. When we are at home, relaxing, out, whatever we are doing - I get asked to check it every half hour it seems. I joke that I am not only a wife and caregiver, I am a professional certified Condom Checker 

Is there any way to deal with all this?? The annoyance of constantly worrying about if its pinched, coming off, baggy or off completely is really nagging on both of us. 

There has to be a better way! Does anyone have any tricks to keep the condom on and not be so paranoid? Anything Im missing? 

- Brooke 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• iamdadmaniamdadman Posts: 178Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @WAGSofSCI
    Hi Elena and Brooke,
    I don't wear a condom catheter so I can be of no help in that department.  What strikes me is that it working for so long and then out of the blue... leakage.  The main reason I am responding is the comment you made about your husband "always thinking about his condom cath and if it is okay".  I know that feeling even though not specifically related to a condom cath.  It is such a frustrating thing to be worrying about having an accident especially while out in public.  I was like that in between caths before I started with botox injections.  That has made all the difference.  I hope you are able to figure out a solution...

Joe