WINTER in a WHEELCHAIR

BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 57Moderator Moderator
10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
Alright winter is upon us and I'm still trying to figure out the best gloves for pushing wheels through the slosh and snow.

Any favorite products, tips or tricks?!

Comments

• ZcollieZcollie Posts: 209Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    I don't have an answer for good gloves but I do have a question. How does your body do in the cold/snow? My body gets really stiff and my spasms get intensified. It is really difficult for me to be in the cold for long periods of time.  
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    @Zcollie
    At our house we are still figuring out how to have my husband even go out and push in the snow!! He wears mittens as it is SO hard to get his fingers into fingered gloves.. following this thread! - Brooke
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 209Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Name Dropper
    @WAGSofSCI Yeah I couldn't imagine doing that. My body would freeze up and I would not be able to do anything haha. I would need a power chair for the snow. I know the struggle of putting fingered gloves on. Sometimes I wear them when I go to a hockey game and they are a pain to get on. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • heatherkrillheatherkrill Posts: 33Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Geoff wears leather gloves for pushing which look like the insulated kind you would buy at hardware store for people who work outdoors-- or for lugging wood.  When he can't find them, it's normally because I've stolen them to bring the wood in...oops...He also has leather side flaps that he can close so that the snow doesn't go from his knobby mountain bike type wheels onto his lap.  They are better for pushing through snow, and he has to daily because he works at a ski resort.  They do a pretty good job of plowing from the HP spots to where he enters the building, but we live in a snow globe essentially.  It gets old fast, but he's figured out how to embrace it for the most part.  He does get really cold after being in his mono ski all day, so someone taught him the trick of using hot tap water (not boiling of course) in a nalgene bottle and puts it inbetween his shirt layers (not directly on his skin) and it keeps in there while sitting on couch or relaxing in the evening.  Due to poor circulation he doesn't always really feel cold until he lays flat and the "cold blood" in his legs circulates more to other places in his body.  He normally goes to bed each night with a warm nalgene.  He does not like electric blankets or those chemical heat things like body warmers...