Regaining bladder control after SCI — Reeve Connect
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.

Regaining bladder control after SCI

specialk
specialk Member Posts: 1
edited January 2020 in Health & Wellness
Hi. I have been living with a neuropathic bladder for over 40 years, having been born with mild spinabifida. Amazingly, this is my first time using a patients' forum or joining any community. I always pretty much assumed there was no one else like me out there.

I consider myself fortunate in that I can walk and am active and I am not incontinent, but rather the reverse and have to self-catheterise several times daily. Obviously this brings the issues of recurrent UTIs which, along with some initial reflux, has left me with left-side hydronephrosis. Also, the spinal cord cyst I was born with has recurred and I am playing a waiting game until it is large enough to threaten my remaining nerve function and so justify undergoing another operation. 

I would love to know if anyone has had any success with recovering nerve function, particularly bladder control after SCI. I've been reading about the epidural stimulation research and hoping this might hold out some hope for me in the future. I would so love to be done with the catheters and the constant fear of ending up in a wheelchair.