Date Nights - How Important Are they?

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 362Moderator Moderator
100 Awesomes 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary
On our platforms we always talk about date nights, and how we try and get out and do something just the two of us once a week at least. We find that it forces us to get out and about into the world, and reconnect over a shared activity together without phones, with just us two. How important is this to you?

This life can be challenging yes.. especially for a high level quadriplegic. There are issues of BP, the shakes, fatigue and general inaccessibility that can prevent us from going out and having a good time. Sometimes its not worth the hassle to get out. Sometimes I myself am too tired. But we have found in our relationship that having a night or afternoon to look forward to with just us two gives us a sense of happiness each week and has become an important part of our weekly routine. Just like Physiotherapy, doctors appointments and dealing with "real life" , when we factor this into our week we feel good. 

For us, we find getting out earlier we can take advantage of fewer crowds, better reservation times, happy hour and more, plus, we get home early and can do our night routine in peace. 

SO how important is getting out for a date night to you and your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend? What does doing these things mean to you? What is your favourite way to get out and enjoy one another?

- Brooke 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• BrittanyFrankBrittanyFrank Posts: 61Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Likes
    Oh, this is so important. We are trying to find new ideas and ways to get out. Since having our first child, this is something that slipped out of our schedule. We realized that after bedtime routine, we have time to connect. We still try to get out just the two of us, but maximizing our alone time in the evening has also become a date night - if we are intentional about it. 
  • ZcollieZcollie Posts: 221Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I think it is very important to have date nights or a night off and stay inside and relax. I would love to take my significant other on a date every week but money is always and issue. Many times we end up staying in and watching a movie together. When we have the money we like to go out, but also don't mind just staying in. Another thing I also think is really important is taking a break from each other every once in a while. After a while of always being with each other it will only be a matter of time before an argument starts. I think it is good to have at least one night a week where each of us go and do our own thing. That has helped a lot in our relationship and we haven't been arguing as much with each other. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 362Moderator Moderator
    100 Awesomes 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary
    Great point- @Zcollie about taking at least one night evening apart to do something for yourself as well. Something it's the change of environment and scenery that can help us reset a little bit and also allow us the space to know ourselves a little better by following what we, as individuals like to do.

Date nights are HUGE in our community. @BrittanyFrank. Taking time to relax or celebrate our relationships are so important, especially if we are caregivers. It's a good reminder that we still have and are in relationships. We can take this time to just be in each other's company while still being a caregiver. Unfortunately, we don't always have the funds to go out and do date nights and this is why we are working very hard on creating a Foundation that believes in and support relationships. This life can take a lot from us and celebrating relationships and love is so important. :)
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)