What was your JOB/CAREER pre and post injury? — Reeve Connect
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.
COVID-19 Vaccine Survey
Please take this short survey about the COVID-19 vaccine and the paralysis community, which will help us advocate and educate others about the vaccine. This is a voluntary survey.

What was your JOB/CAREER pre and post injury?

WAGSofSCI
WAGSofSCI Moderator Posts: 379 Moderator
100 Awesomes 100 Likes 100 Comments First Anniversary
Hello,

For some of you this topic will not resonate and for some of you for who it does, we'd love you're encouragement and advice.

If you could share your careers before you accident and encourage folks to re-train and go back into the work force after their SCI, what would you say?

Was/ Is re-training for a new career an option?

If you could share some advice for a newly injured injured individual, having lost their job, what would it be?

Is it possible to go back to your current position? Did you find any funding or support to return to work? Did your company provide adaptive equipment for you to return to work or make any accessible changes?

Thank you,

Elena
WAGS of SCI
(Wives and Girlfriends of Spinal Cord Injury
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• dawsonmalan
    dawsonmalan Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Fortunately, I was running an ecommerce store before and after my injury. That is why, this helped me alot to cope with my situation.
  • stephanie426
    stephanie426 Moderator Posts: 64 Moderator
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    I have lived my entire life as a wheelchair user, so I have never had a career without my wheelchair and I am SO thankful for that! Being a wheelchair user is what lead me to become a Disability Rights attorney! In my area, most people don't go to college and they definitely don't go on to post-graduate school. If I was not a wheelchair user, I am sure I would have gotten a job straight out of high school like most of my graduating class. However, because I am a wheelchair user, I have always been interested in the Americans with Disabilities Act and enforcing/expanding the law. 

I also teach at a local college about serving the Disability Community. I focus on how to respect people with disabilities and center the disabled person in all of the work that a service provider does. I think that as a wheelchair user I am better suited to teach this class than any nondisabled person. 
  • ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 163 Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Before my son was injured at 15 now 10 years post injury. I had a photography business for 14 years. Back when we still used film! I’ve switched to digital of course now and do small side jobs. My kids have there lives pretty well documented too! 
  • kurtis_gross
    kurtis_gross Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    I was injured as a 19 year old college freshman, so my jobs were limited to landscaping and life guarding during the summers. After becoming a C-4/5 quadriplegic I graduated with a BS in Economics and went to law school. I have worked as a transactional attorney in the energy sector for the past 14 years.
  • ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 163 Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    @kurtis_gross law school that’s awesome!!