The Importance of Staying physically active while Living with a Spinal Cord Injury

garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 120Moderator Moderator
25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
In addition to reducing your risk for heart disease, research in the SCI population has shown that exercise improves respiration (breathing), muscle strength, circulation, body composition, self-esteem, self-confidence, depression, anxiety, and independence. It also helps to prevent secondary complications (such as urinary tract infections, pressure ulcers, and respiratory infections), reduce the risk for diabetes, improve immune system function, and reduce constipation.

Comments

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 50Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    It also helps me sleep better and it can be a lot of fun, once you get into a routine.
  • cruiseybabbbycruiseybabbby Posts: 18Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I work out (what I can) 5 days a week and besides the physical activity being great for what muscles I do have and am trying to strengthen, the mental workout I get from being disciplined, diligent and responsible towards my health and overall well-being works wonders for carrying on day after day with a smile on my face!
  • EmmsEmms Posts: 37Member ✭✭
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Whether injured or not, I think it's responsible to ones own wellbeing to keep active and fit! Staying fit makes things so much easier. Less spasms, increased productivity, and knowing you're doing all you can to stay healthy. If one day in our lifetime there was a cure, we'll need to be fit for it! Not the only reason of course! 
    “Inhale the future. Exhale the past.”

• SterlionSterlion Posts: 74Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Emms said:
    Whether injured or not, I think it's responsible to ones own wellbeing to keep active and fit! Staying fit makes things so much easier. Less spasms, increased productivity, and knowing you're doing all you can to stay healthy. If one day in our lifetime there was a cure, we'll need to be fit for it! Not the only reason of course! 
    I love your thinking! I know that the stronger I can be the more I can do for myself and the less I rely on others.
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 120Moderator Moderator
    Emms said:

• CruckerCrucker Posts: 59Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    The Finns have made the idea of movement as medicine, both physical and spiritual, into a way of life. I wrote about it in a recent blog on this site called "The Finnish Way." If you're interested, check it out.

• trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 38Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Staying active is so important! There's times when I can't get out of my chair and be as active as I want for one reason or another and I cant definitely feel the difference. You may see changes in your tone and spasms when starting a routine but sticking with it only improves things overall. Consistency is so important. I think that one of the most important things we can do besides be physically fit by working out is getting upright and putting weight through the legs which has many benefits itself. I noticed changes in my body once I stuck with a consistent routine. I also agree that it benefits mentally as well more than anything if you keep your body and mind active!
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 282Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    The Recreational Therapy program at G.F Strong Rehab here in Vancouver was a huge help for my partner. Incorporated with many other programs such at Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy, Rec Therapy was a great way for patients to get out of their rooms, begin to utilize and activate different muscle groups by playing all sort of adapted sports. Heck, I got in a chair and played Rugby with my partner sometimes as well. It helps build confidence and is also a really great interactive and bonding tool, especially at a time of so much uncertainty during recovery. 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • raysellersraysellers Posts: 8Member
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    edited February 27
    I would say  staying active with a spinal cord injury  is more  then important. For one reason To keep your  joints loose  because stiffness is a pain  when it comes to mobility. And two  mentally because for me I feel so good after a good workout my day go so much better. 
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 120Moderator Moderator
    I feel the same way @raysellers I totally agree with you 

• Monica.TMonica.T Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Any suggestions for weak grip and weak arms? We knew nothing about wheelchairs when my son was assigned his wheelchair, the providing company picked him a manual wheelchair even though he does not have the upper body strength to push himself - their suggestion was with time and exercise he will "learn", however 18 months of physical therapy and he still does not have the strength or coronation to push his chair. His Ortho doc suggested strength building exercises. I bought him a set of 1lb weights with Velcro straps so he can keep them attached to his hands, but so far he is still unable to grip them firmly and can only 'curl' them 3 times before his strength gives out. He also has bands and a cord on pullies.
  • ambercollieambercollie Posts: 70Moderator Moderator
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Monica T your Charlie's mom correct, what level injury is he? Sounds odd they gave him a manual chair for 1st wheelchair, with little upper body strength while yes! great to exercise as much as possible to get and stay strong, feeling independent by being able to move and get places is also very important. Have you heard of Power Assist wheels? They go on manual chairs but for every inch you can push it goes about a foot or two so your still pushing but it helps you. You can also check out the ZX-1 made by Spinergy. It's a detachable motor.
    My son used both of these. Expensive like everything in wheelchair world, but both worked well.